Burn In speakercable

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Better than 0.05. That's pretty standard.
Agreed
Disagree. They do NOT have to be in a row.
You are correct, but there are certainly limits. I don't know the formula off the top of my head. I seem to remember 16 tries (?) was the limit for 10 correct...
I run a mobile disco using mains cables for speaker cables
Ditto. as long as the gauge and length are sufficient to provide adequate current flow, and high damping, the rest is irrelevant. Conductor conducts. - End of story.
... there will always be some who will find faults. That doesn't mean that we should be careless about it. ...
... I know for a fact that some out there will think the organizers cheated. Human nature. ... We don't have the resources to run like that now.
... I know that even if everybody else will not believe the results, us who are involved, knowing we do it honestly, will do. Good use of $10 and a bit of spare time for me.
All good points. And yeah, for ten bucks, why not.
Well, if Steve Eddy burns in the cables, I have no doubt in my mind that the key is safe. I would suggest that he share it with you or rdf before Andre turns his answers in.
I think the least of our worries is collusion by the organizers...

Yes, but knowing the distribution skews the odds, analogous to Monty Hall knowing which door has the goat.

Fortunately, Andre understands the whole coin-flipping thing and is OK with it. :up:

It is one of the basic questions in statistic; let me cite Wikipedia on that one:

"In probability theory and statistics, the hypergeometric distribution is a discrete probability distribution that describes the number of successes in a sequence of n draws from a finite population without replacement, just as the binomial distribution describes the number of successes for draws with replacement."

Hypergeometric distribution - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

An example using the urn model is included. And it doesn´t matter if the draws were consecutive or at once.

rdf is absolutely right- as long as the cable identities are hidden, no additional help is possible.
The listener will even not know about the number of successful draws in between.

Wishes

rdf: Yes, but we haven't specified the number correct for 95% significance. Assuming that we go with true randomization (so no constraint beyond n=10), if memory serves, 8 out of 10 correct meets this criterion.

It is still _9_ correct answers for p<0.05.
Due to the dicrete natur of possible answers and the small sample size the step size is quite large. So the hard 0.05 criterion favours the nil hypothesis, that´s why these tests were called conservative.

Maybe a bit more fuzzy criterion could help, the probability to be successful by chance is for 8 answers 0.055, for 9 answers 0.011 .

I could surely live with 0.055 . :)

Wishes

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.