Building V-2

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
so after 20 records I have some issues, Hope some of you may be able to offer some thoughts

So very pleased with the very clean back ground noise no bearing rumble, but it seams when long continuous notes are playing they wobble or waver

the motor is from a garrad nice and stable, could it be the oil in the bearing I have it full with 3 n 1 machine oil, the belt is a large rubber O-Ring

Is the oil to runney or is the Rubber O-Ring streaching?

Please Help!!

Thanks Garry

Tried a similar undamped carbon fibre tube and thought the sound was a disaster compared to a simple aluminium tube. Have you compared the arm to some known entity? Even a lowly RB300?

I have not on this build on "Version 1" my arm tube was Brass the over all sound stage and seperation would seam to be better, I have a NAD knock off of a Rega and I think it is sounding better.

And as I said the odd sound is not allways present and not allways in simillar types of records. Eg Pink Floyd, lots of albums have similar orchestral passages in them

Thanks
G

gazza if you have speed instability it can be any one, or all of the following.

1. Poor power supply, regulation, thermal stability etc etc.
2. Poor bearing quality, damage, scratches.
3. Platter imbalance leading to bearing recession.
4. Poor concentricity of sub platter, platter, motor pulley or record spindle.
5. Crap belt.
6. Lack of geometric stability between motor pod and deck, does motor pod rock is the belt too tight and pulling it slightly over.

You would really need to test for them all. One by one.

gazza if you have speed instability it can be any one, or all of the following.

1. Poor power supply, regulation, thermal stability etc etc.
2. Poor bearing quality, damage, scratches.
3. Platter imbalance leading to bearing recession.
4. Poor concentricity of sub platter, platter, motor pulley or record spindle.
5. Crap belt.
6. Lack of geometric stability between motor pod and deck, does motor pod rock is the belt too tight and pulling it slightly over.

You would really need to test for them all. One by one.

Thanks for you thoughts, you sent me on the right track I think.

The Belt may have been to tight,
My Pulley had an irregularity the belt was walking and grabbing on the rim
Lastly I took a little to much off the spindal so the record was loose, New spindal

Most of all no more "waw waw" in long notes

Thanks very much for the help

Gazza

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.