Building the TU-8900

Having been so favorably impressed with the 300B in the TU-8600 I began testing the 8900 with the WE300B. I went through a test sequence of a) contemprary music with strong electric bass (Lenoard Cohen 10 New Songs) b) Jazz (Christian McBride Trio), and classical (Vivaldi Oboe Concerto). All recent recordings. Using 99dB @ 2.83V / 1m Klipsh Forte III speakers.

As soon as the first track started on the 8900 (300Bs) I could hear a marked improvement over the 8600. Nothing all that specific, but it seemed that all the outstanding qualities of the 300B were elevated: great bass, solid/clear mids, and impressive hights.

But, then I tried the same sequence using the 2A3s. The differnce was remarkabe. I agree with Neville, this takes things to a another level. Bass was smooth and mellow, not as pronounce (booming, sustained) as with the 300Bs. Mids were increadibly transparant and the highs were brilliant but not shrill. There is a clarity and a detail that brings out every instrument and elements of the music that I had never heard before.

These are only first impressions fained after just a few hours of listening. But, I have to say that this is one of the best, if not the best amp I have every heard. And with the 2A3s, well, not much more needs to be said.

@Neville and @FrEdward, thank you much. Will stay tuned for more updates from you and others.

@odamone, the stock version of 8900 costs a little over the stock version of the 8600, and I am guessing it is due to the auto-bias circuit on the 8900.

$1500 price tag of the 8900 is the stock version. While the ~$2000 price of the 8600 is with the Lundahl OPT and a couple other upgrades.

I am leaning to upgrade the resistors to PRP (series PR9372) which have 1% tolerance.

I used the PRP resistors in my TU-8200 rebuilt and really liked them. From what I recall there are both 100ppm and 50ppm versions, I went with the 50ppm as the cost difference was minimal. I rally liked them but I did sense that some listeners would find them overly detailed or bright.

Having been so favorably impressed with the 300B in the TU-8600 I began testing the 8900 with the WE300B. I went through a test sequence of a) contemprary music with strong electric bass (Lenoard Cohen 10 New Songs) b) Jazz (Christian McBride Trio), and classical (Vivaldi Oboe Concerto). All recent recordings. Using 99dB @ 2.83V / 1m Klipsh Forte III speakers.

As soon as the first track started on the 8900 (300Bs) I could hear a marked improvement over the 8600. Nothing all that specific, but it seemed that all the outstanding qualities of the 300B were elevated: great bass, solid/clear mids, and impressive hights.

But, then I tried the same sequence using the 2A3s. The differnce was remarkabe. I agree with Neville, this takes things to a another level. Bass was smooth and mellow, not as pronounce (booming, sustained) as with the 300Bs. Mids were increadibly transparant and the highs were brilliant but not shrill. There is a clarity and a detail that brings out every instrument and elements of the music that I had never heard before.

These are only first impressions fained after just a few hours of listening. But, I have to say that this is one of the best, if not the best amp I have every heard. And with the 2A3s, well, not much more needs to be said.

You described the 2A3 better than I did and agree with everything you said.

As for 300B comparison I too heard a difference but couldn’t tell if it was due to the difference in caps and different tubes.

I have Sylvania 12au7’s and plan to swap them in, later I might get 12bh7 from Victor.

Sorry to hear that but it’s very uncommon for this. Japanese kits are usually precise. I have not heard EH300B but glad to see you looking at acquiring 2A3, to me and others here it made a remarkable difference. I will keep my Cossor 300B as backup but already looking at other 2A3 tubes. Let us know what you get and your impressions of it.