Building the "CodeNelson" Power Amp

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Building the Code Nelson

October 1992, I got tired of just sitting home with the wife, hanging out in Vista, California. So I took a walk.

I walked so far that I ended up at Counterpoint Electronics Systems in Carlsbads, California; and got myself hired as a engineering tech, designing chokes, coils and transformers.

I worked in dept 0578, and I was employee #66. This is true, as I sit here looking at my old check stub #5206.

I never designed any NEW transformers, because you can not re-invent the wheel. So I designed and built better existing ones.

While I was at Counterpoint, I got a chance to meet George Kaye. We talked for 5 to 10 minutes and then..., he was gone; went out for drinks at one of the many girl filled clubs in the San Diego area.

Great guy!!!

My one question to him was why the MosCode amplifier had such a complex bias system. He smiled and said ,"I do not know really". And he took the next question. Months later I call him with the number he gave me.

We talked for a whole 36 minutes. I got great information and made a dear friend.

Nelson designed a very simple 20watt Class A amplifier. Beautiful. It sounded outstanding. I never heard Norman Brown's guitar sound so clear and warm. I wanted more. But how could I get it to sound even better.

I wanted a crisp clear clean tone, with smooth striking warmth to it. That would put me to sleep (hell warm milk does that).

So I added a tube front pre-amp to it.

My god, I just coded Nelson.

I had it laid out on the bench and I played it and played it; because I was afraid to screw it up or move it. But I knew that I had to pcb the circuits and put it in a beautiful case.

I did not do a great deal of engineering on it, just simple research. Because it was already done for me. All I had to do was to put the various circuits together, and get them to work.

I used Wim De Haan front end circuit from his Nishiki design. Conrad Johnson voltage regulator circuit from the PV5, only change the transistors to faster switching ones. To bring voltage regulation to the tubes. And then Nelson's 20watt Class A Power Amplifier design, layout spaciously. It stays cool and plays a long time.

As soon as I can get back to my basement shop and draw up the circuit, I will post it and show off my built unit. At my age, I can remember all that I done to get it to work; just trying to rely on memory.

Take Care

Ivey

Last edited:
Hi Boris...,

They came by Thursday and Friday to test and clear the mess up in my basement. Also tested the air for mold particles and growth in other areas, and found a few areas that require attention. They will be back today, Saturday to hopefully complete the work.

If it was up to me, I would be down in my basement right now. But My spouse and the doctors, are warning me not to rush into the basement until it is safe and the air is clean.

I am using my grandson's lap top, at this time. And I do not want to put programs on his machine. There are files that I do not want to transfer by mistake.

I have many computers in my basement setup, and my lap top is strictly a business lap top. Strictly Business.

But hopefully, today when the workers come and go through the things that workers do. It will be o.k., with one more clean up to remove their equipment, and I can escape back into my "basement cave". As my spouse calls it.

I am feeling better and better, as the meds are doing their job. Slowly, but I am getting better.

The only thing that upsets me, is the cost of my medicines. You would not believe how much Walgreens charges for their medicines. Even at Wal Mart's I can not seem to get a break.

I advise everyone, please, do not get sick, getting well is more expensive than a car repair.

I think doctors go to a business classes, to think up ways to keep you coming into their offices and paying their expenses.

Example, and..., tell me if this happen to you.

I was placed on blood thinners, and they set the medicine level low. Every week, they would check my level. Oh, your level is too low; they would say. We are going to increase it from 8mg to 11mg. Then again, Oh your levels are too low, we are going to increase it to 15mg.

This went on until it reached a level of 21mg. A total of five visits and medicine changes, at a cost of $145.00 a doctor visit. Not to mention payment for materials used in the examines.

With my insurance, I pay first and my insurance reimburse me. But they are not fast about it. They keep my money as long as they can to garner as much interest from my funds as they can before paying you back.

But anyway, I am getting back to good level of health.

Take Care

Ivey

You are right Boris.

But I ask, can I keep a little money in my pocket. They called an told my wife that my new medicine order for Oxycotin is $279.00. Before taxes. So I pay this sum, send the bill to the insurance, they reimburse me all but $12.00. But in the mean time I am out of almost $300.00 dollars.

Why can I not have my health, plus my money?

With bad health, you will die, without money, you will have a difficult life and then die. Bad all around.

Take Care

Ivey

What is it with taxes!!!!!

Every Politician I hear of, raises taxes or create a bloody new one. There would be a tax on air, if they could figure out how to do it.

My time in Aussie Land was great and with fond memories. From Freemantel to Sydney, it was all good. But the best place of all was Gerldton, Australia.

Great weather, people, and food. The food was good, those woman can cook wellington like I never had it before. The Aussie beef is some of the best and riches on the planet. I eat a lot of it, in Irish Stews and Scottish Stews. Then we would sit in the patio and drink and play darts still dust.

We are trying to get social medicine here. It will not be the same as the system that you have there. But it will be an American version of it.

We need health reform. We are killing ourselves here with this run away cost to medicine.

The very, very, hurtful shame that is attach to the problem of our medical issues here in America, is that "all Americans" know we must do it. Our dilemma is..., who is going to be the first to cut their political throats to do it.

As our population grows and we live longer, so do our medical cost, if we continue with the system that we have.

I am not talking politics here; but life. With our present system, you can run out of money or insurance, before you are back to full health. Which in some cases, can kill you.

Right now, there are only a hand full of people for 'social medicine". But as more and more of us fall victim to our present medical policies. I feel that it will change. And that is sad as well.

Because why must man lose his love ones, before he realize a change is required.

Take Care

Ivey

Last edited:
Nelson, I am back

Just a couple more days of waiting for the moisture to be removed, the humidifiers install, and a new heating duct near my work area, and I am on my way. Cost $450.00

The doctors o.k'd me to work in my basement (my man cave) for three to four a day. Not bad for an old man. Can not stay down there like I did before. I use to live down there. I love that place.

Before, my wife would not come down, because it was full of stuff. Now it is cleaned and organized, she'll be down there more often to get me. Can not hide any more.

But it is good. I got about 78% of my stuff in containers, cabinets, shelves, and storage bins. It cost me $600.00 for it all. Not to mention the funds Grandpa, folked over to the grand kids, to do it all.

I went down there today, when my wife went shopping; it looks great. My son's wife had them install new lighting. I can see!!!!!!!! Plus I got a new mini icebox. Ice tea anyone?

I looked around and started seeing things I forgot I had. I did not realize how much stuff I horded over 81 years. My wife was right, if had looked through some of my boxes, I could have saved a lot of money.

Updated my will and trust onTuesday. I did not realize that I did not have it all in order. If I had died, I would have left my wife in a pickle, with our children grabbing everything for themselves.

But hopefully, I will be here a little longer.

Take Care

Ivey

Ivey,
Now that the basement workshop is professional and organized I think, like Nelson said earlier, it is time to get to work.
Let's see what this old man can do. You still have it don't you? How old are you anyway. It seems that this forum is full of us old folks in out late 50's and such. Did we all get lost somewhere for 25 years? I just want to resurrect the old 70's power. Remember when owning a Pioneer receiver brought accolades from the college roommate. Those were some good times. 300 watts and a big set of Altec speakers -- and then came John Travolta and the Miami Sound Machine -- kinda changed things.

Make sure to be extra careful with the soldering iron and the Oxy's. It will take a lot longer to feel the burn. Not kidding here!!!

Patiently waiting Tad

Late 50's? Thank you.

I was 7, going on 8 when Germany invaded Poland.

The Mills Brothers, Benny Goodman, Tommy Dorsey and his brother, Sinatra, and in the early 1950's Dino.

I am sorry, but I had Fisher's 500 and 550 receiver. In my den (still to day) I have a RCA Globe Master receiver/ with tuning eye, short wave bands, ceramic phono, with old Tanner speakers and crossovers.

I love the big bands and classics.

Take Care

Ivey

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
Zen,
What exactly makes them crummy? I would not buy one today with all of the good designs available here.
Pioneer did at one point make a few very good amps.

Tad

I was just pulling your leg ......... but you already know - they were good for that era ..... but now - good old speakers with decent made DIY amp ( whatever sort ) are way to go .....

better the amp - it squeezes more from in ancient way made speakers

Code Nelson infor

Everything I wanted to do, was somehow done before. We all want to be the first at something. But often, we can not have our way. So we do the best we can.

Nelson designed and put together the PLH amplifier, which I found to be very interesting.

It was my intention to design a better PLH, but the more I tried to change the design in an effort to improve it. The greater the parts counts got. Soon I was designing a monster unit.

I did not want that and the changes were getting beyond the scope of what I intended.

Looking at the MosFet Citation 12 that I had built, I discovered that it required a lot drive to get the smooth bass and tremble. And PLH was the same also. But once the input was there, it was not good, but outstanding.

So I added a buffer amp. A vacuum tube buffer amp as the front end of the amplifier, requiring no mods, just the addition of the buffer stage.

It improved the tones a great deal. Then I used my Conrad Johnson Fet#2 pre amp. And that completed the system..., almost.

What was lacking was a power supply to power the amplifier. And I found one At Harbor Freight. An arc welder transformer with a 115 volt input and 70 volt at 50amp output. $100.00 dollars new, then I destroyed it.

I am posting the pcb of the PLH, single sided board, with only two jumpers.
It is not to scale. I used bipolar caps for the input and output, until the 10uf caps arrived from Mouser. But I never got a chance to upgrade the pcb. All caps voltages were increased as I played with the higher voltage.

I installed IRFP460's units (Quasi's favorites) in the output. But IRFP250 are good also. Jameco Electronics has them them both.

The Buffer amp used a 12AU7, but a 6DJ8 or a 5963, 5965 works great.
The buffer needs a regulated power supply, two inexpensive 220volt.12.6 volts@2amps transformers works good. Use a good fast switching power transistor. TIP 48,49,50 will induce noise. MJE13000 series are outstanding. The MJE13009 is the best.

I have not posted the pcb for the vacuum tube, but it is turret designed pcb. Very simple.

Also I will post drawings of some of the other types of vacuum tubes circuits, in which the research was done by Wim De Haan.

I used the 12AU7 because it is easy to obtain. The buffer amp being submitted is a clean tone unit. Flat.

Take Care

Ivey

Attachments

• Buffer1.doc
    34.5 KB · Views: 117
  • PLH.doc
    31.5 KB · Views: 107
Last edited:
Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member

Attachments

• buffer 1.gif
    buffer 1.gif
    8.2 KB · Views: 382
  • plh.gif
    plh.gif
    21.9 KB · Views: 376
I nssd help!

I designed the Buffer Amp stage, for pcb layout. I used
Express PCB, so that anyone can download it from their web site, if they so desire.

My problem is, that I do not know how to upload the Express PCB files so that members can simply download the files from the forum. Can anyone tell me how that can be done.

I use WinRar, but the forum will not upload .RAR files.

Help me out here guys..., please.

Take Care

Ivey

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.