building sub with new adire audio's TUMULT

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Mikee is right, room placement, alignment, etc... As for amp $ in New Zealand, just order a prosound amp online... Parts Express has shipped to me in Asia and the middle east...... I like the QSC to run my subs. Your power down there 220-240V?

yes 230v here.

im going to get a 350w plate amp from jaycar,
i didnt know partsexpess ships that far-they say 'no international order' on their site.People pay 100$ shipping,its just not worth it

Some one mentioned Downfiring having floor reflections?
no it doesnt,you just excite the floor more easily.and the suspensions sag should be calculated too
( another useful thing on adires site)

perhaps the tumult will be good in a basshorn LOL......

Cheers

Tumult xmax

The only hard part about using the lasers is trying to focus your eyes when your face is 2' from a sub pumping out 115+ db. When I did this test on the Maelstrom, I did it at work, people were getting sick to thier stomachs (I think it took me a good half hour at 25 Hz, full power, to get everything lined up).......

hi

adire,s concept and tech is worth a mention

there have been huge amounts of fea measurements taken at all steps of its engineering and logical approaches taken to minmise transducer problems

i doubt you will ever regret using them

and since you like killer subs

i think you could really power these up and enjoy at blasting levels at a distortion free performance

goodluck

suranjan

transducer design engineer

Re: Hehe

david funke said:

I was planning to use a samson S1500 amp with 2 X 750w into 4 ohm channels. I'd like to keep costs relatively low. I planned on less than $1500, hopefully less than $1000 for the whole setup. Any other suggestions?

I have a home theater that opens to the rest of the house, yielding 850 sq ft and 8 ft cielings. 6800ft3 total. my main speakers are def tec 2002's.

2 x 750 W is fine if your amp has bridge mode.
According to specs, the Tumult is a very fine driver,
perhaps the only one out there that is at all
comparable to Velodyne's proprietary long-throw driver
of its properties.

Brendon said:
Hi,
Peerless 831857 and save some serious money. If you want to justify sound by spending money (and get a purdy driver), try something like the Seas W26.

Just a couple ideas, but I'm sure that mine is not a popular opinion when size and testosterone appears to make up many people's mind.

I dare to wonder your testosterone statement (
I don't have testosterone and my choice would be definately
still Tumult) and the musicality statements.
To be honest, to me they sound like high end
garbage that is not based on measurable facts.

For a big home theater room one needs displacement and
that is what Tumult provides.
Seas W26 is by the way
not suitable for home theater subs if you don't stack MANY of them.

I have 18 inch Fane in my home theater and it is barely adequate with 1200 watts of amplification (T-Amp 1400 in bridge mode -
from http://www.thomann.de ). With inadequate driver one
can't reach THX listening level. Driver exceeding its Xmax
produces horrible sound/distortion and it is far from any musicality.
All lesser performing drivers are potent to do that.

I have used Seas drivers,
but I wouldn't use them in subs.

In fact, if I could choose, I would make two Tumult subs and would
run them with 1.6 kW amplifier per subwoofer (that would result taking the full potential of the driver's long Xmax).

My current Fane drivers however, could be suitable for horn
loading and perhaps I could cover the range between 50 Hz and
200 Hz by horn loading them.

Best Wishes,
Karoliina

A friend of mine had a 12" velodyne sub(Servo I think), mid 90's production. We tried to measure the xmax of the driver with very low frequency information. I think there might have been limiting/frequency filtering circutry, but no matter how hard I cranked on it I never broke 25mm Pk-Pk. I'm not sure if the Velodyne stuff is as good as some think it is. It looks real nice though..... I heard the ULD 18, it was loud.

Hi,

A friend of mine has Velodyne HGS-18.
In my opinion, the HGS-18 seems to be
- loud
- is pretty fast & accurate
- has very low distortion (I haven't heard any so far)
- is stylish
- is (relatively) small
- and has a nice blue led

The Xmax of HGS-18 is huge. We haven't measured
it, but the driver moves a lot at low frequencies.
The HGS driver has larger Xmax than the older models
(such as those you mentioned).

To clarify: If I mention that Velodyne is good, I mean only the newer
models starting from HGS-series and that does not include
the small models (equipped with smaller than 15 inch drivers).

Best Wishes,
Karoliina

I've always thought the velodyne stuff sounded pretty good. The only problem was that I would always have it run out of gas when really cranked on (even the ULD 18). I just finished a set of subs using a pair of Tumults in large ported boxes with a ton of power, they are about what I consider as a minimum for my taste.. Sometimes I like to throw a few back, crank it up, and not blow anything up (speakers at least) :) If I had to buy a pre-built subwoofer Velodyne would be high on my list... Haven't heard any yet from this years stuff. Haven't read any reviews in Sterophile in a while either (I think ever since that full range speaker they made got a bad review).... Just my 2 cents

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.