building semi-outdoor speakers, need tweeter

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I need some tweeters that can handle being outside, not left in the rain or anything.

I've got a pair of 4" ti' tangs , I thought they could be my new outdoor speakers by themselves. I put them in some small vented enclosures and gave them a listen in my livingroom. They really need a tweeter, or supertweeter. Not that they can't produce the upper 2-3 octaves, they just don't sound that natural doing it.

These wont be left out in the elements. We have a small room between the house and back deck, fully enclosed, just not air-conditioned. The speakers will be about 3 feet tall, most of the enclosure will be for a ported RS180 in each cabinet. Those will be running off a small ~100 watt plate amp crossed over between 200 and 50 Hz. The 4" tangs will be above them, then a tweeter above them. On the top of the speakers will be a handle like you would see on prosound speakers, the top should be right at hand level so I think it could be pretty convenient. Wont be any excuse for leaving them out in the rain, but I don't think leaving them out overnight would hurt the TB or the Dayton, would it?

Not looking for something too expensive, but not looking for something to be the weak link in my design either. I've never heard an inexpensive metal dome tweeter that I liked, haven't heard too many though, and I don't think a silk dome would take well to the sunlight and humidity.

Any ideas?

Take it easy on me please, it's my first post.

Thanks for the replies.

That mishmash site is great, kind of confirms some things I thought I was hearing with some of the tweeters he has up there.

I think I'll try the HiVi SD 1.1, for that price if they last 2 years I'll be happy. If not I guess I'll go to some titanium dome tweeter.

I'll pick them up if parts express is open monday.:xeye:

Don't know how long it will take to build them, it's below 0 F here, I can heat up may garage, but not if it gets any colder.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.