Building home theater sub - questions!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Brett,

Thanks for the links. I saw your sub in reference to another thread on this forum, I think. Where did you get the pointed legs? I am thinking about adding 4 legs to the corners to lift mine up off the floor just a bit more.

I'm still wavering about the carpet vs. laminate - I have the carpet already, but laminate, if done right, I think looks better. I'll probably have to try the carpet, and if I don't like it, pull it off and use laminate.

As far as the polyfill - I had planned to cover the sides with the foam (like off a sleeping pad type). I could attached the polyfill to that or my other idea was to build a "net" out of 3/16" dowels, maybe 1 1/2" to 2 inches apart. This would be above the speaker a couple inches, and the polyfill would rest on that. Would that work, or not a good idea?

Thanks,
Mike

BTW - nice tablesaw - I have a similar (if not the same) model - this speakerbox is my first project on it :)

Behnkem,

The pointed spikes are off my main speakers (I changed to a
different type of spike on the mains so I had 4 extra's). You can
get a very nice set of black chrome adjustable spikes from Parts
Express for around $20.00 or so..

I think the Laminate will certainly look better than carpet in a
home setting. Carpet would be ok in a car install but for the home
I would want some type of wood finish (but that's just my preference)
Carpet done right can look good to.

The acoustical foam egg crate material is used to break up
standing waves and to dampen pannel resonance. Polyfill on the
other hand is used to slow the internal airspeed down making
the box appear larger to the driver. If your cabinent is well
braced inside you probably won't even need egg crate and you
can just affix the polyfill to the walls.

I am not sure how the dowel thing would work.. They may add
resonance to the enclosure.

Thanks, it does look like we have the same table saw (put that
dang safety cover back on!) I wouldn't dare cut wood without the
safety guard..

For what I paid for the saw ($150.00 new) it does a very good
job.. The outfeed extension makes ripping 4x8's nice... And I sure
will need it considering my next DIY is a pair of 88" tall Line Array
Enclosures :)

Its Done!

Well, I hooked up the sub yesterday, after letting the caulk and glue dry on the last piece to go on over night. I ended up with 2 2" x 7.2" long ports, which should tune it to somewhere around 40hz. I played a few movies with it last night, and it is sounding good! It definately brings out an extra element that was missing before.

I still have to figure out what to finish it with - All but the top is painted black, but if I put a couple more coats of paint on it I will need to take the amp and sub out to avoid painting them - I'm gonna play with it a little bit before deciding what to do.

I will put up a project page in a bit (I took a ton of pictures) and will post the link here.

I will try to do some testing on it soon - I need to get a meter from Radio Shack, I think (SPL?)

Thanks for all the help!
Mike

PS. I ended up using a CerwinVega Lw-10 amp (100 watt) that I got for $75 from www.apexjr.com - all told, not including time) the project probably cost about $100+/-

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.