• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

Building an open embedded audio applicance.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Some news!

-snip-

I need to separate out core concerns from eachother

1) BBB interface and botic features with Isolation I2C and Audio (PCM/DSD) signals with correct power sequencing etc (so no inputs are driven until power good).
2) Re-clocking/Clock generation.

So I am just about to order 4 prototype boards

-snip-

I will have more information shortly. :)

Hi Russ, thank you for this exciting information.

So, is it okay to understand that the term "Botic cape" became more generic and will be no more used for board naming apart from the drivers?

Russ, not criticizing in any way, but please don't let this project take as long as the 2nd generation usb interface. It has been vaporware for years now and people lost interest.
I understand your desire to make the products as good as possible, but taking too long will drive people in other directions.

Correct. I would add that some functions as power management are designed to fix some BBB engineering flaws which may be fixed on the next HW generation. I cant remember of One properly finished BBB or Pi in something not looking as a table corner experiment that your wife or kids will never be able to power on (;-)

I wouldn't put the Udoo choice apart finally.
It is true, it's even too powerful for this purpose, but would excessive power in some way be a problem for SQ? Or could it be a plus for low jitter signal (see Michelangelo's report about his USB jitter measurements in thread's first pages), future codec complexity improvements, fast ethernet access, storage options, compatibility with further devices, integration in complex systems (think, for example, a little LCD display in the DAC front panel and the ability to switch songs and playlist via remote) and so on?
It's a bit more expensive, ok, but we're talking about a mere 50$ price difference (or less): don't forget that often we spend MUCH more just for a single cable... Tomorrow, when something even better will be out, we will find ourselves with a powerful machine that could easily become - say - an XBMC htpc.
More, i own an Udoo that i use as a VOLUMIO network player and i can testify that i can unplug power cord in any moment and nothing bad happens... they are months that i do it!
Why loose time trying to solve the defects of a machine when we can easily find other machines that don't have the same problems? And how much will it cost to fix these defects? Maybe more than 50$?...

Last edited:
Good news, Russ.

Only one suggestion.

Your cape, is perfect for DIYers, for use inside the dac chassis. But if you add one output LVDS over HDMI or/and rj45 conector, it will be possible use the BBB in another chassis and connect to comercial Dac like Wired4sound.

I know your teleporter module, but all-in-one cape is more atracctive.

Regards

@MASantos One of the reasons I didn't go forward with the XMOS USB module was because as a single unit I felt it was overly complex. I wanted to simplify it.

What I really wanted to accomplish with the USB module is more closely aligned with what I am doing now. This is a happy coincidence because it makes using XMOS or any other USB module in a isolated/reclocked manner much more practical. :)

In any case - I have found a new USB chip I will be utilizing - not necessarily XMOS. I am weighing my options.

In short this work is really the ground work for solid offerings yet to come.

Last edited:
Good news, Russ.

Only one suggestion.

Your cape, is perfect for DIYers, for use inside the dac chassis. But if you add one output LVDS over HDMI or/and rj45 conector, it will be possible use the BBB in another chassis and connect to comercial Dac like Wired4sound.

I know your teleporter module, but all-in-one cape is more atracctive.

Regards

There will either be a teleporter port on the Hermes-BBB it will carry 4 channels - MCK,BCK,LRCK(D1),D(D2) or on the Cronus - or possibly both.

Cheers!
Russ

Should I wait longer or look elsewhere for such a solution?

Hello all,
I bought a BBB back in April this year in the hopes that I could use this Botic with the BBB to provide a high quality I2S output straight to my DAC, instead of using the USB on a Samsung notebook running Windoze.

I didn't fully understand Russ's last series of posts, but it sounds like the project might be getting sidetracked.

Anyway, 2 months ago I decided to take my BBB that was gathering dust and try the USB out of the BBB running MPD music server. As you might have guessed this does sound a little better than the PC, even using the JPlay driver (trial version, I wasn't willing to spend the $125 to own it, especially since BBB was only $45).

But I can't help wonder how much better it could be by avoiding the whole USB "packaging and unpackaging" process and using I2S from the BBB/Botic...
-Richard

Hello all,
I bought a BBB back in April this year in the hopes that I could use this Botic with the BBB to provide a high quality I2S output straight to my DAC, instead of using the USB on a Samsung notebook running Windoze.

I didn't fully understand Russ's last series of posts, but it sounds like the project might be getting sidetracked.

Anyway, 2 months ago I decided to take my BBB that was gathering dust and try the USB out of the BBB running MPD music server. As you might have guessed this does sound a little better than the PC, even using the JPlay driver (trial version, I wasn't willing to spend the $125 to own it, especially since BBB was only $45).

But I can't help wonder how much better it could be by avoiding the whole USB "packaging and unpackaging" process and using I2S from the BBB/Botic...
-Richard

Richard - Doing away with the USB transportation - as long as you can keep the I2S lines short and keep noise out - makes a very significant improvement. I say this based on my own experience replacing WaveIO with RPi as proposed by Russ at the beginning of this thread.

I too have a BBB lined up and waiting for Botic, but am in no hurry as the RPi I2S into Buffalo sound is the best I've had at home. I use Picoreplayer, with the LMS on a fanless pc connected over Ethernet to the RPi.

USB seems to be fraught with complications such that even good implementations appear to be a limit to the best sound possible.

Mark

Dumb question alert - I’m a happy Buffalo 32S owner who is also a computer/electronics numpty (terrific word!). I’m hoping I have deciphered the conversation here.

What I deduce is Russ is designing PCB modules (Hermes x, y . . . .) that may use a Beaglebone Black (or Raspberry Pi?) to deliver 12S from a computer/NAS/drive to one these new Hermes boards, which in turn feeds a Buffalo (or other DAC) an I2S signal? Is that correct?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.