Building an Aelph 1.2

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Here are the results of the UrSv jury:

Option 2, 3 points.
Option 3, 2 points.
Option 1, 1 point.

The winner is Option 2. Why?:

Option 2 - Simple and easy to build with minimum HW costs. No real downside. One or as many as needed times 1 block at each speaker stack.

Option 3 - Lots of hardware but still able to split in 2 lots for placement as for Option 2 if desired.

Option 1 - Where on earth am I gonna put the PSU if I want to split the amps and place them near speakers and how long will not the cables be with a lot of current? :faint:

/UrSv

PedroPO or Mr Brewster? None of the above....

I am Leaning towards Option 1 at the moment, overall a bit more work but hardware costs are much less, 1 TX, 1 set of Caps vs building another chassis and adding power connectors, hummm.

If you use 14/4 CAB SJT or SJOW as the DC power cords they will not even get warm. 14 Gauge CAB can conduct 12 Amps easily and the Aelph rails are only going to be 5 or 6 Amps each. the 14/4 would likely carry +60/-60, common and a spare ground fused.

The benfit a noise free enviroment for the Semiconductors.

Is this not a worthy ambition?:)

Anthony

With proper placing of transformers I think that noise will not be a problem. Just think of all the heatsinking giving you lots of room.

I prefer the shorter wires when currents are high.

A lot depends as usual on what hardware you have and the workshop you have...

/UrSv

When you build high power class A amp, you obviously end up with big heat sinks. The natural progression from here is to use those heat sink as a housing for a big power supply. I don't see any point in keeping amps empty and building another chassis for power supply only. I'm also not that sure, about long power cables from PS to the amp. I think they might introduce more interference than properly placed transformer inside the amp. Another advantage of monoblocks is to use them close to the speakers which means spreading them apart. In that case you would have to run thick power cables across the room. Your wife might not like it.;)

Your wife might not like it

Well that is an entirely different discussion. I am surprised though Peter I thought you implemented a seperate P/S for you A75's?

I was intending to use a seperate P/S for my Aelph preamp and probably still will, but maybe I will incorporate the P/S in the same Chassis as my Aelph 1.2's. Hummmmm

Anthony

hey everyone - nobody really answered my second question about several smaller caps better than a few big ones? peter - i thought i saw alot of smallish caps on one of your amps? what was your theory about all those caps? :) also i was thinking of mounting the transformer on it's side! does anyone know if this is a good practice? i would think because of stray emmissions that this method would work the best sonically !! also it would be the best space saving !:idea: hey - how would you mount it -

I know that this is a year late response to Peter, but the "fast" caps is a mute point with class A amps. The current demand is constantly running flat out. Transients are not like turning a long water hose on and off and getting a dribble instead, It's like a water hose flowing full tilt and being pointed at a target then away. But I'll still bypass with a film anyway.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.