Building a symmetrical PSU B1 buffer

Will the size of the delay capacitor affect the relay shutdown time? I mean, its size affect the time to open at the startup. The bigger, the more time waiting for it to turn on. But, does the size affect the time it closes the relay when you shut it down?

Because could be safer to use a lower value to lower its shutdown time. Just wondering...

uriah,

thanks for the fets. got them today but i'm a bit confused about the markings. set of 4 with 5.94 5.96 are IDSS matched quad, but what about the 2 by themselves (one looks like 43190)?

-tincanear (bruce w)

The first 4, like you said were 5.94 and 5.96. The other two are 4.3190. my tester is very accurate but I think my tester uses 5V or maybe even less so my numbers end up a bit different than if you used a 9V and 1k resistor. You need 6 2sk170 and those will do the trick.
Uriah

Last friday I changed out the 0.33uF GE caps I had in the DCB1 and replaced them with 2 x 0.22uF Wima MKP.

To recap a bit, so far there has been 3 different caps tried here, 2 bigger uF film caps, (4.7uF) of which a bennic one was best, and then the 0.33uF film. I decided to try the wima because I wanted to a) see what smaller uF values were like and b) MKP was what Salas originally suggested. Up till this 0.22uF the Bennic 4.7uF sounded the best.

So after allowing some burn in of the wima 0.22uF I have to say I am really impessed with it. The detail retrieval is definitely up, but what you really notice is what I call "presence". Piano key strikes are much more real, you can almost feel the strike of the key, or taps of the stick on the edge of a snare are so well defined and real. I suppose all that is transient information, but when you have it there it makes a hell of a difference. The other thing that is noticeable are voices - again, more real. Now all of this is there to some extent with each of the caps, but the wima/bennic have more of it than the others.

So these little wima mkp are at least as good as the Bennic 4.7uF and would be cheaper by far. I do have some wima mkp 4.7uF and I might try them but to be honest its low on my priority list now, given that these are so good.

Now, has anyone else tried this? Would be good for someone else to have a go and see do they get the same results....

Fran

Attachments

• IMAG0044 copy.jpg
    IMAG0044 copy.jpg
    255 KB · Views: 762
What is this 100uF decoupling 5 LED's function? Just to filter the noise from the LED, or there are else functions properly? Any idea that bigger capacitance MKP (10uF maybe) would be better than 100uF Elco or 0.22uF MKP?

Thinking to put my little sprague 0.22uF MKP or his brother (7uF) which will perfectly mounted on top of my current PCB :)

Shoooooot. Your right.
Well, will have to mail out some more..
Hey before you fire up that cute little board TeaBag, make sure to turn the 200R trimmer on the right to middle position. Just count turns, dont worry about exact.

udailey-

other fets arrived today. thanks much!!! i won't be able to do any work on my system for a bit though because of some house fixup... :(

-tincanear

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
What is this 100uF decoupling 5 LED's function? Just to filter the noise from the LED, or there are else functions properly? Any idea that bigger capacitance MKP (10uF maybe) would be better than 100uF Elco or 0.22uF MKP?

Thinking to put my little sprague 0.22uF MKP or his brother (7uF) which will perfectly mounted on top of my current PCB :)

As I wrote, its function is noise filtering. It looks like the noise is bypassed in the output enough by the termination 100uF cap, and the leds are very quiet for a line stage already. So the small film cap is able to show its lower subjective distortion although it can locally filter less. We would like to confirm it with more opinions too.

Hi,

I recaps the old silmic 100uF at 5 LED's decoupling with 0.33uF Sprague 730P. The result is more open/extended high frequency, clear sound. I didn't pay attention about the noise, but it noise level doesn't bother me at all, no complain about it.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

What is the result when using PIO or oil caps?

Last edited:
diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Seems like a consistent finding then. OK, will employ film cap positions along positions for 5W and 10W Rset resistors for high rev CCS if a limited DCB1 hot rod edition GB ever runs. Thanks. Nice build by the way. How strong current you use? I see big heatsinks.