Building a symmetrical PSU B1 buffer

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Lookie! Was remembering wrong. The central conductors are just copper on mine. Stripped one to photo. Its Italian made only thing I know. Got 10 metres from a typical electronics shop once, don't remember for how much, maybe for less than a tenner.

Attachments

• RGcopperCore.jpg
    RGcopperCore.jpg
    265.7 KB · Views: 735
diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
After adding the third parallel 68R to my DCB1:
1. Transformer sec. output= 11.76V
2. After rectification= +14.85V and -14.91V
3. Voltage drop across 3 parallel 68R = 1.552V and 1.670V.
Any comment on all voltage above? I touch the MOSFETs after on for 15min don"t feel hot just a bit warm, i think it ok.

Looks like your Iset Rdrop is getting smaller the lower your Vin-Vout dif. Now you run circa 70mA per rail. Not bad. Is your mains at nominal value if you measure it with DVM on max AC scale? Also how much your row of 3 leds drop?

Joined 2001
Paid Member
You might try Blues over at the swap meet...

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/swap-meet/161366-matched-toshiba-fets-sale.html

I aquired my matched and unmatched FET's from spencer here on the forums, but he's in Hong Kong. No problems with delivery though, I'm a satisfied customer.

The alps would be easier on the sources I guess, recommended value is 15-25K. I use the LDR attenuator myself, sound is fantastic.

Hi Sugden.
The voltage across the current setting resistors should not change. There is slight drift with temperature.

I think your 12Vac transformer is not giving sufficient voltage before the regulator and that's why you see a lower volts drop across the triple 68r, cf. the double 68r.
Do you have a 15+15Vac transformer to try?

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Tweak to test

For all of you tweak inclined DCB1 owners, I have a an idea to test. If you happen to have a pair 0.1-1uF axial MKT or MKP that can fit upright replacing the 100uF 5X LEDs filter caps (the pair behind the transformer connector), give it a try and evaluate subjectively. Due to the node's impedance of the LEDs Vref, there will be no averse effect with the regs very low frequency gain & phase. Its a trade off between much noise filtering or little filtering and adequate or better cap distortion. Since the LEDs are good enough for self noise, and we have line level audio here, lets see what it may subjectively matter more to you. Don't destroy the 100uF caps, you may want them back or not. Let us know your evaluations.

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
The bigger axial film cap it can fit upright, the more the filtering too. Positive suggestion then. But maybe better if smaller but MKP. V1.2s are proving excellent on phono for now, a friend here evaluates a double on his 57dB MC, he is chuffed head to head with V1.0s. Line level is less demanding, but Bill in Sydney is chuffed on op amps too. He will let us know with them on DCB1 point to point soon. I will integrate special LED ref V1.2s only if I can find a way to relatively simply nail the B1's Achille's heel manifesting in any package guise first, namely its tendency to up THD with level. Although pleasant (N.P. knows his stuff VERY well), its still what a so simple 2 Jfet circuit has to trade off. Not objectionable as a max number, but still a non linearity trend that has to do with 2SK170 Ciss.

I'm talking about tiny radial caps p 5 mm that fit nicely in the pcb.... MKPs AFAIK aren't available bigger than 0.33 uF I'm afraid. :(

Axial MKPs are generally 250V.... that means quite big stuff.

he is chuffed head to head with V1.0s Sorry, I don't undesterstand: means he's ultra happy with V1.2 over V1.0?

Last edited:
Hi Sugden.
The voltage across the current setting resistors should not change. There is slight drift with temperature.

I think your 12Vac transformer is not giving sufficient voltage before the regulator and that's why you see a lower volts drop across the triple 68r, cf. the double 68r.
Do you have a 15+15Vac transformer to try?

I do not have any 15+15Vac transformer, but I connect DCB1 to my PS audio power plant which I can get adjust to 250VAC main power supply. Now voltage after rectification are +16.15V & -16.22V, volt at 3 parallel 68R are 1.547V & 1.666V. Look like not much different to the CCS. These all can do untill now, if necessary I will buy one 15+15VAC transformer to test it.

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
I'm talking about tiny radial caps p 5 mm that fit nicely in the pcb.... MKPs AFAIK aren't available bigger than 0.33 uF I'm afraid. :(

Axial MKPs are generally 250V.... that means quite big stuff.

he is chuffed head to head with V1.0s Sorry, I don't undesterstand: means he's ultra happy with V1.2 over V1.0?

Whatever fits.

Yes, chuffed means very happy, well satisfied.

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
I do not have any 15+15Vac transformer, but I connect DCB1 to my PS audio power plant which I can get adjust to 250VAC main power supply. Now voltage after rectification are +16.15V & -16.22V, volt at 3 parallel 68R are 1.547V & 1.666V. Look like not much different to the CCS. These all can do untill now, if necessary I will buy one 15+15VAC transformer to test it.

You DCB1 is a healthy young man, told you before.

I have already finished my DCB1 and put it in a case. For that matter I used an old telecom equipment chassis. Old stuff has no plastics and is more robust than what is made today :D I will post some pictures as soon as I get a camera.
It works and sounds wonderful. I managed to have a very close match between leds (and I had the luck of finding matched pairs of jfets in my bag as close as 0.02% between them).
Here are the measurements, done with inputs shorted to ground and waited 2 hours after turning it on. 100-150h of burn-in already:

DC offsets: -0.86mv and -1.84mv
AC output: 0.01mv (less than DVM noise floor)

Tx voltage: 13.48vac
After rectification:17.4vdc
Positive rail: 10.748
Negative rail: -10.041
PSupply ripple: 0.00mv

Vdrop68//68: 2.456v (72mA) and 2.216v (65mA)

I'm thinking in rising the CCS to 200 or 250mA. I've done my calculations, and maybe I'm wrong, but I've found that you dont need 1W res. If you are passing 2.456v along 34 ohms, that is 72mA.
P=V·I, so 2.456 x 0.072 = 0.176W. Wich is less than the standard quarter-watt resistor. So you don't even need to paralled them, neither making them 0.5W.

Am I wrong in something? Probably sure because you guys have thought of it before. As we say, don't try to teach your father how to make children :p