Building a symmetrical PSU B1 buffer

Thanks.
I figured if I was going to do it I shouldn't half-*** it.
I will most likely use the Khozmo stepped attenuator.
For inputs and outputs I have Cardas RCA posts which seem to be extremely high quality for the price.
And lastly I'm going to try to fit a DAC into the same chassis.

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
There is no too much in this one, not too little. Its the way they mix in transiently. In reality to filter deep it takes lytics, but thanks to the no gain high signal situation that renders the comparable nVrtHz regs rise in output noise rather irrelevant we chase a good leading edge subjectively. It was -160dB regs noise floor measured on a Tek audio analyzer by a member from Madrid on Mezmerize on lytics anyway, so losing a bit of noise floor and going better THD and frequency caps, that was a choice made by members pre-testing for the special version you are making after I hinted they could see about it. There were a few, Alon UK, Fran Ireland are two I readily recall. There are places for lytics even as you can see. The 0.22uF Wima was a tested jack of all trades available known cap choice short of, but no limits.

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
After you will be familiar you may just try to see what they do to your tone in your particular system. Chasing your synergy Avalon. If you are the type. Else let it be. Should play for a week before you dare consider the little devil whispering ''try this, try that'', anyway.

Could someone please tell me what value resistors to use for:

200ma
600ma
2A

Nobody responded so I spent two days reading the entire DCB1 Hot Rod thread. Not sure whether my *** or my head hurts more!

AndrewT provides a detailed answer in post #769. In essence, build it first, measure the Vdc across the current setting resistors (could be 1.4V to 2.2V depending on your build) then use V/R=A (+/- tolerances) to set the current.

Level 1 hotrod (200ma) is typically generated with a 10R/5W resistor and requires upgraded heatsinks.

Level 2 (600ma) appears to be generated with 3.3 to 5.0R resistors and requires SERIOUS heatsinks.

Level 3 (2A) doesn't appear practical or worthwhile.

I think I will aim for 600ma on the first build. Can someone please suggest a resistor spec to start with (ohms/watts).

I have some more questions as I put together my BOM:

If I stay at 600mA, will the 50VA Antek transformer do (http://www.antekinc.com/pdf/AS-0515.pdf) or for the small incremental cost should I just get the 100VA version (http://www.antekinc.com/pdf/AS-1215.pdf)?

These are the best heatsinks I can find on Mouser: WA-T247-101E Ohmite Heatsinks
How much current do you think I can run with these?

I am also ordering some JFETS from Spencer. He matches them to .2mA, which I assume is as good as it gets, but I can also select the Idss. What is optimal?

I still need some help here.

1. Transformer: For 600mA on the DCB1, a future LDR, and likely a remote control board, is 50VA OK or should I just jump to 100VA to be sure?
  2. Heatsinks: after reading the hotrod thread the units referenced above are clearly inadequate for 600mA. Can someone point me to some sources for better heatsinks?
  3. Matched 2SK170BLs: I believe I saw a post where Salas recommended 7.0mA the optimal target for Idss. Did I get that right? Is .2mA good enough for matched sets?

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member

1. Transformer: For 600mA on the DCB1, a future LDR, and likely a remote control board, is 50VA OK or should I just jump to 100VA to be sure?
  2. Heatsinks: after reading the hotrod thread the units referenced above are clearly inadequate for 600mA. Can someone point me to some sources for better heatsinks?
  3. Matched 2SK170BLs: I believe I saw a post where Salas recommended 7.0mA the optimal target for Idss. Did I get that right? Is .2mA good enough for matched sets?

Don't know what the remote control board will ask for. But 50VA is OK for the basic circuit and LDR. You can go higher if you have space and budget, for ''ease'' of what comes in the future.

Look for 0.5W/C common sinks per rail (both Mosfets mounted per one).

Match closer if you can. 8mA is OK too.

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Its given as a 2x6 poles and positions switch by the manufacturer. Thus OK.

Attachments

• 04-1264.gif
    04-1264.gif
    6.2 KB · Views: 842

Transformer: For 600mA on the DCB1, a future LDR, and likely a remote control board, is 50VA OK or should I just jump to 100VA to be sure?

50VA is OK for the basic circuit and LDR. You can go higher if you have space and budget,
a DCB1 draws continuous current from the PSU.
That continuous DC current is ~=your CCS current, i.e. 600mA per polarity.
I recommend that the transformer be rated to >=~twice this AC current, i.e. 1.2Aac

15-0-15Vac 1.2Aac centre tapped transformer or 0-15, 0-15Vac 1.2Aac dual secondary transformer is suitable for a 600mA DCB1. 50VA should run a little cooler than a 36VA transformer. For cooler long term running, I would double the current rating again to 2.4Aac, i.e. ~72VA.