Building a Pearl 2

Many moving coil owners tend to load their cartridges with a way too low resistor.
Bear in mind any resistor parallel to the catridge's generator will lower it's output
and potencially reduce dynamics.
In my experience something around 400 - 600 Ohms is fine even with low output
catridges, 100 or even 50 Ohms may sound 'nice', but not lively.

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Many moving coil owners tend to load their cartridges with a way too low resistor.
Bear in mind any resistor parallel to the catridge's generator will lower it's output
and potencially reduce dynamics.
In my experience something around 400 - 600 Ohms is fine even with low output
catridges, 100 or even 50 Ohms may sound 'nice', but not lively.

Most LMC with up to 20R internal impedance will enter the happy zone at 220R load and then up in my experience.

4 x 12 mF, certainly not kF :D

Is it per channel or a stereo PSU? Two full wave bridges will give you some benefit.
If the 4 lytics supply both channels I'd conside to split them into two channels.
Another good idea: split them and put a resistor (CRC) or even better an inductor
between (CLC). This will reduce ripple and noise significiently.

I went for CLCLC "in front of" my Pearl I and CRCLC in my Aleph J.

hifi-hospital, FormosaWest --

How are your projects proceeding?

Well, it was a long time in the kitchen (work shop) but it finally made it to the dining room (listening room)!!! It turned out nice and I love it! I finally gave up on trying to recycle an old chassis and picked up a nice chassis from eBay that matches the form factor of my Micro Seiki 1500 turntable. I would have preferred black anodized and may some day have it changed. I do have a better shielded toroidal power transformer on the way but the preamp is pretty quiet with the current transformer. I rotated the xformer while measuring it for the lowest hum in the high-gain setting. I have two tonearms on my TT, one with a low output Talisman S and the other with a Stanton 981HZS so I installed two sets of input jacks and a high quality toggle switch to select between them. I also added a switch to add a 300 ohm resistor across R14 to bump the gain up about 13db for the LOMC. It has been quite a while since I had the AlephOno in my system but I believe that the Pearl 2 may have more "Slam" with dynamic music. I'm anxious to hear if it will change character as it "breaks in".

Thanks for all of the suggestions and info!

Attachments

• IMG_5314e.jpg
    IMG_5314e.jpg
    129.6 KB · Views: 1,127
  • IMG_5313e.jpg
    IMG_5313e.jpg
    114.3 KB · Views: 1,119
  • IMG_5316e.jpg
    IMG_5316e.jpg
    102.8 KB · Views: 1,109
  • IMG_5315e.jpg
    IMG_5315e.jpg
    102.5 KB · Views: 1,102
  • IMG_5317e.jpg
    IMG_5317e.jpg
    97.8 KB · Views: 1,102
Well I finally got my new transformer from DigiKey and decided to go with an external supply. I found a great chassis in the recycle bin from a professional video camera. It even had a nice LC AC line filter that I am using. The preamp is about 10db quieter with an external supply. It really sounds great! Really dynamic!! And the bass is out of this world!!!
Thanks to all for the inspiration and hints to all who have posted on this project! Now I can start my record cleaning machine project to replace my Nitty Gritty.

Attachments

• 170e.jpg
    170e.jpg
    112.8 KB · Views: 517
  • 169e.jpg
    169e.jpg
    158.4 KB · Views: 577
  • 168e.jpg
    168e.jpg
    131.9 KB · Views: 539
  • 167e.jpg
    167e.jpg