Building a Pearl 2

6L6

Joined 2010
Paid Member
PhopsonNY -

Look at the Pearl PCBs, there is a pad on each just above C12, connect that to the ground stud.

What's connected to the ground stud now?

652625d1514035426-building-pearl-2-a-pearl2-jpg

Joined 2003
Paid Member

Attachments

• 20171227_121730[1].jpg
    20171227_121730[1].jpg
    728.6 KB · Views: 403
Hi Gents,

I'm building a Pearl 2 currently and it's looking ok but sometimes Q1 is broken immidiately after power on. Two times since the start of this project. The collector/ emittor is infinite. Maybe the loading current of C6 is the problem or I use bad quality ZTX 450's. Any idea's? or Modifications?

It's a strange problem isn't it?...since this afternoon I've fitted a good old BC550 ... see what happens the coming period.
I had also some trouble with gain difference between left and right hand. Around 6db difference. First stages are equal but the problem is in the second stage. After replacing Q4 the gain difference is 3db now. Is Q4,Q5 critical regarding the gain? or just a little tweaking with the feedback resistor value?

6L6

Joined 2010
Paid Member
Same grounding scheme still applies.

Get the PCB's ground center to the ground post, which is then also chassis, that will tie both PCBs together and hopefully eliminate a large potential difference between them and make up for the single ground point that the Rega arms use.

6L6

Joined 2010
Paid Member
GroundingPearl2_zpsde57d115.jpg

(click photo if it's all smushed because of the forum formatting)

You can make the ground lug connect to chassis at the post itself, or isolate and have a separate screw as shown. Regardless, it's the only point to touch the chassis.

Note in this drawing no jacks touch the chassis.