Building a pair of sonotube subs on the cheap (n00b) have questions

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Howdy Oliver :)

Thanks for the information. I'll try to learn that.

I am not a speaker guy (clearly), I repair computers and build arcade machines. But once I built a big server computer for a customer and he was a speaker builder, a self proclaimed "audiophile". His name was Dana Crooker and he built giant speakers the size of refrigerators. I had never seen anything like that before and was amazed. He was into building Altec Horns for theater if I recall. He gave me the plans and some parts and I built a small Altec cabinet myself years ago. It still fills my basement workshop with tunes :)

I happen to have a photo of Dana's "smallest" speakers, it was taken around the time I joined here :

Dana.jpg

Ever since then I've found speaker building interesting and I occasionally come over to this forum. I am impressed by the wonderful works I see here !

OK, that's my story :)

Cheers!
Craig

It's my back-story :)

And here is the Altec cabinet I built back then too :)

Dana had given me the plans, the driver, and the horn. What a nice fella :)

Anyway, as advised I am letting the calking dry with the drivers out of the cabinets. I think it will take a week.

I also found some other parts he gave me, a JBL crossover mostly intact. I suppose I can use the coils for the woofers :)

OK have fun!
Craig

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.