building a NAS

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
the biggest problem here, our internet was freakin slooowwwww :(
imagine you backing up your (let's say 4TB) data at 30kB/s speed..and it affects the downstream speed :mad:

i still learning how ZFS works :scratch:

@laplace nope..i don't believe them since their green disk ever failed in 2 years in my hand :mad: :D .1 fails per 4 years seems good.not a big problem :scratch:

OK, 30kB/sec up is pretty typical even in Australia (the Grinch stole our NBN). But do you, personally, create data at that rate? If you're talking about text, documents, amplifier designs :) etc, then I should think absolutely not. It's only if you're doing something like photography where the stream of new data that you need to backup cannot feasibly fit through a tiny fraction of a 30kB/sec pipe.

You don't backup ALL your data over the internet. rsync will send only the new and changed files, and you make sure not to send your media directories (movies, music, etc) over the internet link and back those up in person with a portable HDD. Obviously don't bother with massive redundancy at all for anything you can just download again.

For 99.9% of the population, a 30kB/sec internet backup link is more than fast enough. I personally wouldn't trust any "cloud" providers so I keep HDDs in my desk at work (for the big data - film scans, etc) and run an online continuous backup to my parents' place that means I don't lose financial docs, code, schematics, etc.

umm...i actually pretty random :D .yes i love photography even i'm not taking pics much..but i feels like all of my data is precious :blush:

but that's a great idea..i'll just backup all of my pics and documents on internet (but where?..i only know clouds like google drive, etc :confused: ) and the others are in a portable drive.

thanks for the idea, laplace!.i still saving my money to prepare the NAS.i hope the drives are getting bigger yet cheaper soon :D

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.