Building a Monster... Class A

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.

Attachments

• image.png
    image.png
    524.3 KB · Views: 351
And base stoppers on all the outputs , and a decent firm constant current
source for the input stage VAS ..... and R5 should be 1K.

Lazy cat joked because an output stage like this , running rails like that (>100V)
... should have a better thought out input stage combined with many other
additions.

Forum designs are usually built and tested X10 or more. Project 117 is
purely conceptual. :(

OS

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Well, today is my lucky day !!!
I found a ALTO MISTRAL 6000 for $150!!
The previous owner saiz that the protect light stays on all the time.
time to get my hands dirty :p

on my way out the door.. figured i'd share the good news :p
quick specs i dug up...

maybe while im in there.... :devilr:

Long story short...
Need to find the schematics now and get to :smash: :smash: :smash: :smash: :smash:

Nice find! Here is a 1500 and it has a nice tunnel duct heatsink system - good sized toroid already. I can only imagine what the 6000 has inside - mo' bigger.

6227280500_1330781384.jpg

Today is my LUCK Day,

And how does this help me?

I'm not going to dig these units up, nor purchase one of them. The amp is already
built, just the voltage problem above lets say 55 to 60 VDC...

I have no doubt, some thing will need to change to get it to function at full voltage specs, and when it gets there, it will rock the house!

Since you already have a multi pair 21193/94 OPS built , it might be easier
to just run it with a better input stage. AND make the EF3 more stable.
A pair of TO-3P's for drivers (njw0302/3281) would make better drivers.
decouple it (driver/pre) , and use mpsa/42/92 as pre-drivers.

Then , with the slower 21193/4 .... use a "slow"input stage .
Any of the modern ones on the forum would do.
The "Badger" (forum AB amp) , without it's cascode ... would be perfect.

PS - for an amp this big .... the more advanced slewmaster thermal
feedback circuit would be optimal.

OS

Okay I got it going, that thing is friken awsome. I ran it at 1 ohm into an alphsonic PWS812.

It did not take long befor the subwoofer died, at about 4500 watts the alpha sonic was in pain and at 6000 watts it died of an open voice coil.

But it did sound great, just wanted to see how much it would take to kill it off.

Robert

Daily use of original P117

Today is my LUCK Day,

And how does this help me?

I'm not going to dig these units up, nor purchase one of them. The amp is already
built, just the voltage problem above lets say 55 to 60 VDC...

I have no doubt, some thing will need to change to get it to function at full voltage specs, and when it gets there, it will rock the house!

Well if you can get 150 volt rail to rail then you should get 2 Kwatt into 4 ohm. Of course that depends on numerous factors. I tested a single channel with 8 ohm load and got roughly 1000 watts. Never bothered testing it with 4R because I do not want to test the limits of my speakers and do not have a 4 ohm dummy load

Okay I got it going, that thing is friken awsome. I ran it at 1 ohm into an alphsonic PWS812.

It did not take long befor the subwoofer died, at about 4500 watts the alpha sonic was in pain and at 6000 watts it died of an open voice coil.

But it did sound great, just wanted to see how much it would take to kill it off.

Robert

And how did you measure that power?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.