Building a 2.1 system. Any suggestions?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello,
I too am looking to build a decent 2.1 system for my PC-have to utilize the Speakers I have accumulated.
satellites will have 4" mid crossed with Tweeter and Sub woofer Will be 8" or 10"

Now I am targeting a total of 3 identical amps, 2 amps 60 watts each@ 8 Ohms for Stereo and 1 amp 120 watts@ 4Ohms for mono

I am confused about going for Active Crossover filtering for the Stereo channels, Sub woofer will have active crossover Cut off at 120Hz.

Search in forums shows use of op amps for active filtering, I don't know how to Implement them. If op amp for one channel can filter Signal below Sub woofers Cut off frequency, Then the satellite may require very few passive components as signals below lower Cut off frequency (eg. 120 Hz) are already filtered before reaching the Amplifier.

Kindly guide if I am correct.

Or......you could pickup a klipsch promedia 2.1 sub and build your own satelites. If you dont use the plate amp its stuffed with goodies for a DIY amp including a toridal transformer. They can be found fairly cheap and it is an awesome low cost 2.1 starting point. You could even use the plate amp with a custom sub and then just make or modify the pre-amp to the desired crossover points you choose. Sometimes its easier to work backwards. If anything else its a great way to save some pennies on parts that you can put into other things like higher quality drivers.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.