Build your own 2x12" TH (The Kraken 212 TH)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I was looking at the 4000, but I am in aus... How are they for low freq?
I have heard that transistor based amps are not that great for sub frequencies..

As for the limiter since the 4000 generates a fair amount of power I would hope to limit it for low power use as well like the kraken 112... not that I think I would ever drive this thing really hot in surburbia...

I haven't had any problems using it for my TH-18's...But the amps are rated at 1kHz for the THD figures....so I'm not sure what they are at say 20Hz?

You can set everything up in the DSP with system architect, it's really nice to have it all in the amp!

Yeah one of the reasons I have my heart set on the xti's is the dsp, I would go lab gruppen but the equivalent is at least double the cost of the xti.

At a guess I would say it "might" run a bit out of steam at the 20hz region yet crown state that 20hz to upper limit +-1db... yet that's still at very low power.

From my basic understanding of the sonic differences of digital/analogue, digital convey high freq detail very well (if done right) and analogue has the advantage in mids.. Therefore analogue benefits are closer to low freq than digital

Still, technically less ones and zeros are needed for low freq...

Oh does the DSP or usb connection monitor power output?
I can see this amp good at 1watt measurements if you can monitor the power easily and I will measure this 112's freq response in the real world

Last edited:
Today i started building the Kraken 112. Ive only cut one side and marked all the internals on it so far.
My sub atm is a Svs Pb12+ clone with the svs 12.2 and the Oaudio 500w amp.
Since my budget is quite thight atm i was wondering if i could start off with the svs 12.2 (im going to power it with the Oaudio amp in the beginning too)
The svs 12.2 is almost identical to Tc sounds DB500 wich have theese T/S:
Qts 0.453
Rp 5.93Ω
Qes 0.534
Dia 241mm
Qms 3.347
Vas 71.0l
Fs 24.7Hz
mms 169g
Res 7.55Ω
cms 246um/M
Ls 6.26
bl 19.2Tm
Lp 6.55
Spl 86dB

And if you are wondering why im building it now when i dont even have the jbl sub, its because i need something to do in school, so im just killing time and building this sub for myself :D
(yeah school, no im not 17 im "slightly" older :p)

Dimensions for JBL GTO1214?

Hi,

Can anyone correct the dimensions in the attached drawing, particularly the overall depth and the depth from the mounting flange? The drawing is from a photograph of the JBL GTO1214, scaled to the 12-5/16" basket diameter. The depth of the driver does not seem the same as in the spec sheet. Any measurements from an actual driver would be helpful.

Regards,

Attachments

• Preliminary_dwg.pdf
    5.2 KB · Views: 165
There is a guy building one in Sweden now:D

HiFiForum.nu - Möjligt ganska stort bashorn?

In swedish, but you can see some images.

Hey! Thats me :)

Nr one has been built as Petter says, I have ordered the drivers for the second one but will wait to actually build it until I have measured the first one to make sure Master Petter doesnt want to change anything after seeing the measured results of the first one.

A minidsp (Home | miniDSP) is also on its way as a filter and also for doing some PEQ to the solution.

I saw someone talking about weight. The 212 built in 22 mm MDF weights 142kg. It was quite heavy to move from the garage (me and a friend).

Performance? I will comment on that when I get the second one (since I was recommended two for several reasons, but lets just say the first one made me press "buy it now" quickly for two more JBL drivers).

I need to think a bit more about delay for sure. The "channel" is around 5.9 m so dont miss that when setting up your DSP (in my case Onkyo 3007). My Onkyo measured 3m but it is using higher frequencies to decide the distance which as I understand works a bit unreliable with a TH.

Hi barco,

Would you be able to help with dimensions for the driver, see Post #149?

Regards,

Hi,

Well, the first 212 is ready and I cannot really access the drivers to check.
The drivers for the second 212 has not yet arrived so I cannot measure them. I can surely measure when they arrive if you like.

I am looking at the specs that was in the box with the driver, and the measurements are slightly different.
Your 7,0543 is 6-5/16" in the sketch with the driver.
The outer diameter is the same as in your sketch.
Also, the cutout diameter is specified to be 11" (not in your sketch).

Hi barco,

Post #152: "...I can surely measure when they arrive if you like..."

That would be great. I also noticed the difference between my scaled drawing, and the JBL picture. That's why I'm looking for some confirmation.

Regards,

I am pretty sure the 6-5/16" inch measurement is correct, I believe I did measure that and it was exactly the same as the picture (from JBL). But if you are not in a hurry Ill give you the exact figures when they arrive. I am guessing end of the upcoming week.

Yes, sorry, my bad. I remembered different. A quick simulation tells me
that driver will work just fine. The freq. response is almost identical.

Awsome! Thank you very much, ill start off with the svs 12.2 first then... :)
Ill post some pictures and stuff later.
Oh one more question, i should dampen the case abit, right? Im not shure where exactly i should place the dampening material. In the corners? if so, how far in?

Cheers

Awsome! Thank you very much, ill start off with the svs 12.2 first then... :)
Ill post some pictures and stuff later.
Oh one more question, i should dampen the case abit, right? Im not shure where exactly i should place the dampening material. In the corners? if so, how far in?

Cheers

I asked Petter the same thing and the answer is not so clear. Its what you believe in :)
However if you do believe it will help, Petter's suggestion was to add it in a thin layer at the end of the horn.

Damping is a real challange if it should be done correctly. So to cheat on the
benefits of reducing ringing in the horn, some may be applied in the end of the
horn. This will affect all freq. but you can't do wrong like if you would use
damping material in the beginning/center of the horn. Then proper
measurements have to be done to place it at the absolute correct place and
amount.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.