Build thread for Diyinhk ES9018 DAC on Ebay

Status
Not open for further replies.
just make sure its not driving too much resistance, i'm not sure about how this would effect the dac re output voltage compliance. glt you drove poweramps direct for a while, did you have any problems? I did direct and also passive IV as well as transformers, but all were no higher than 1kΩ

just make sure its not driving too much resistance, i'm not sure about how this would effect the dac re output voltage compliance. glt you drove poweramps direct for a while, did you have any problems? I did direct and also passive IV as well as transformers, but all were no higher than 1kΩ

Still driving poweramps directly (UCD180HGs). Haven't had a chance to try a proper I/V yet.

output

ok and hello glt and all of you

thank you for your answer,i will later test the I2S connection, but it is not al finished, the builder of the dsp is not available at present,google digelaty some nice pcb`s
i undersand more and more ,but not enough.
now i no what i need at last.
the row differential outputs needing a puffer,right?
so i dont use, only i will build a tube buffer.

i need a buffert differential output , to go to a resistor volume control ,
and than in to the power amp.
i have the pcb number 5 .
on hifi duino ( i think your block) is shown the point , were i can take differential output . one point from the opa , this point connect a 470 ohm resistor .
the pcb 5 layout is different to number 2 ,so i only have to look wich points are going from the 4 OPA`s to the resistor with 470 ohm,right?
and i dident need the two output OPA`s right?

ore, how can i connect the singel ended output with a resistor volume control and then in the power amp

regards mennezoe

ore, how can i connect the singel ended output with a resistor volume control and then in the power amp
you could connect the single ended output to a pot directly, but the resistance value of the pot will affect the output impedance.

why do you need a pot? just use the ESS inbuilt volume control with arduino, its VERY good. then you can connect the SE output to your poweramp directly

output

hello
you could connect the single ended output to a pot directly, but the resistance value of the pot will affect the output impedance.

why do you need a pot? just use the ESS inbuilt volume control with arduino, its VERY good. then you can connect the SE output to your poweramp directly

my dsp has a volume control already but sometimes my kids playing with the remote control,and they adjyst it. than the speaker became full power,so i need a passiv volume control like albs ,or so. to save it.
iam very beginner of dac building,i build tube amps and class d amps and pre amps, the shematiks are more easyer for me.
so my question ,a cd player a dvd player has a analog output ,between i can ged a passiv volume(like albs control ore a preamp).
and is the se output the same like cd ore dvd player,

As of now there are several versions of this board so this thread is becoming a little confusing. Anyhow, I just received version 2013.07 of this board along with the DIYINHK XMOS 384kHz USB to I2S PCB. Everything looks great but there are markings and connections on the board which could use some documentation. For a newb like me this would really make things much less intimidating. Unfortunately, no documentation was included so I hope some good soul could perhaps make a list of these markings and explain their function.

I also have a few specific questions that hopefully someone will answer.

1. I would like to use the clocks from the USB to I2S pcb, so I don't plan on installing an oscillator on the DAC board. Do I need to connect anything else besides the I2S inputs between these two boards? Will the ESS chip recognize automatically that it needs to derive its timing from the I2S signal? Or maybe I have to connect something to between the X1 connection of the DAC and the USB board?

2. Can anyone else verify that going with separate left/right AVCC supplies is as good as DIYINHK claims?

3. If going with separate supplies for AVCC should these also have separate dedicated transformer windings or can they share the same one?

4. I plan on using this DAC with a single ended SRPP tube buffer, any hints as to where exactly I should steal the signal points on the board? Obviously I won't be populating the opamps and rest of the IV stage. Will the chip automatically operate in voltage mode if I connect these outputs to a 50k pot through a coupling cap? What if I want to use current mode, how do I enable it and what size of resistor do I use before the buffer?

5. What is the marking "Chip Address" on the DAC board used for?

Thanks in advance for the replies.

sabre 9018

Judging by the name of the outputs (to be sure ask the manufacturer)

cs dac -pic1
v+ -12v.
mos pic2
gnd gnd------GND
spiclk pic3
mclk ---------Not used
dsp1
fs-----------LRCK
dsp2
sclk---------BCK
dsp3
data--------DATAsp digelaty
dsp4
dsps

hallo glt
I2S connection are right, sabre board is already running ,volume remotecontrol
with digelaty dsp.
sound high dynamic, friends are very impressed.:D

thank all

1 - You can use the master clock output from the XMOS to the clock input of the ES9018.
3 - Same transformer would be fine.
4 - Dac operates in voltage mode without an I/V even if you put a resistor across the output. For true current mode you need to fix the output voltage with an opamp.
5- Chip address is to set the address of the chip if you are using dual mono.

As of now there are several versions of this board so this thread is becoming a little confusing. Anyhow, I just received version 2013.07 of this board along with the DIYINHK XMOS 384kHz USB to I2S PCB. Everything looks great but there are markings and connections on the board which could use some documentation. For a newb like me this would really make things much less intimidating. Unfortunately, no documentation was included so I hope some good soul could perhaps make a list of these markings and explain their function.

I also have a few specific questions that hopefully someone will answer.

1. I would like to use the clocks from the USB to I2S pcb, so I don't plan on installing an oscillator on the DAC board. Do I need to connect anything else besides the I2S inputs between these two boards? Will the ESS chip recognize automatically that it needs to derive its timing from the I2S signal? Or maybe I have to connect something to between the X1 connection of the DAC and the USB board?

2. Can anyone else verify that going with separate left/right AVCC supplies is as good as DIYINHK claims?

3. If going with separate supplies for AVCC should these also have separate dedicated transformer windings or can they share the same one?

4. I plan on using this DAC with a single ended SRPP tube buffer, any hints as to where exactly I should steal the signal points on the board? Obviously I won't be populating the opamps and rest of the IV stage. Will the chip automatically operate in voltage mode if I connect these outputs to a 50k pot through a coupling cap? What if I want to use current mode, how do I enable it and what size of resistor do I use before the buffer?

5. What is the marking "Chip Address" on the DAC board used for?

Thanks in advance for the replies.

please can somebody tell me what is a tp level converter .
how is the shematik or can i by it.
i am building also the diyinhk sabre dac,and i need spdif input into the sabre dac, an wich pin is the input and gnd.
i have the last pcb diyinhk made 2013.05.

TP level converter: The Buffalo III Digital-to-Analog Converter

It is to convert the consumer spdif levels (~1v) to 3.3v required by the DAC.

For the DAC, the default input for spdif is data-1

I meant IV opamps, 6 LME49990s. I've build two boards, both have the same heat problem. What may cause that?

Worst are the last two opamps, they reach ~90-100 degrees Celcius. I have changed power supplies, built multi-stage regulated supply with independent Salas LV regulators for analog, digital, and IV stages, noisewise they are very clean and voltages are not exceeding the standards; 3.3V for digital, 3.45V for analog, and 12.2V for IV. I'm seriously puzzled.

Status
Not open for further replies.