Build thread - building the Subbu DAC V3 SE

Guys,

Does anyone out there build this with the USB input. Any ideas/ recommendations ?
Thanks

Albert

You need to add a USB to SPIDF converter.

I've used an http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/group-buys/237301-gb-thread-xmos-dsd-384-khz-32bit-usb.html

but there are plenty of USB to I2S /SPDIF converters for you to choose from.
Amanero, DIYnk, Ian's etc ...

bear in mind that for maximum performance you should use separate PSUs and this will increase the complexity of the project.
Catalin

I tried same way and with every connection there is a drop in voltage.
With single L6 connected its 4.78V ,After L5 4.36V, L4 caused 4.02V,when all connected ,reading was 3.35V.
earlier I though that only L3 was an issue,but testing different way concluded ,with every connection of 'L ',there is a voltage drop.
I did not remove any L1 or L2 while taking reading of WM/ESS. I will do that.

Dear friends,

Today I could test my DAC with recommended power supply from another member and it worked.It confirms that my power supply is a problem.
I will try to build a dedicated one soon.Thanks for help.

A new Subbu Dac is born. After much trouble with bad parts, either that I messed up soldering or were just defective I finally got my Subbu DAC V3 up and running. After the initial build I found several shorted capacitors and resistors, but after following the circuit diagram I managed to work it out. I've burned it in for a few hours in my garage workshop, but haven't put into my main system for a serious listen yet, I'll do that tonite. But at first blush it sounds very good, clear, open, detailed and dynamic, congratulations to Jean Paul and Subbu. I'll be comparing it to an EZ DAC, and a dual mono twisted pear Opus DAC that I have built earlier. Here are some finished pics, the donut thingy is a power filter. The input selector switches between coax in, optical in, and eventually USB in when I get the chance to put the adaptor into the case.

PJN

Attachments

• Subbu DAC front.jpg
    Subbu DAC front.jpg
    130.7 KB · Views: 262
  • Subbu Dac inside.jpg
    Subbu Dac inside.jpg
    148.2 KB · Views: 262
A new Subbu Dac is born. After much trouble with bad parts, either that I messed up soldering or were just defective I finally got my Subbu DAC V3 up and running. After the initial build I found several shorted capacitors and resistors, but after following the circuit diagram I managed to work it out. I've burned it in for a few hours in my garage workshop, but haven't put into my main system for a serious listen yet, I'll do that tonite. But at first blush it sounds very good, clear, open, detailed and dynamic, congratulations to Jean Paul and Subbu. I'll be comparing it to an EZ DAC, and a dual mono twisted pear Opus DAC that I have built earlier. Here are some finished pics, the donut thingy is a power filter. The input selector switches between coax in, optical in, and eventually USB in when I get the chance to put the adaptor into the case.

PJN

Congratulations on your build !

I like your case.

Disabled Account
Joined 2002
Nice build but it is not forbidden to take away the sharp edges after drilling holes (don't know the english word for it but could it be "deburring" ?). A file does wonders there. You won't cut yourself now but you will when you are changing something in the device.

Also some of the connector blocks you choose are not necessary, you have some superfluous connections at the outputs. Better wire the outputs directly to the RCA connectors.

I take the toroid line filters are for taking away RF ?

Last edited:
Bob et al,

The power filter is a Jon Risch design, the capacitors are under the board. I've used it before on past builds and in my situation it has provided some benefits with consumer based gear. It might be superfluous with Jean Paul's excellent PSU, but it is cheap insurance. As for Jean Paul, yes you are right there are extra connections, but since I needed to take things apart so many times to track down problems they were very convenient. I did get a chance to listen on a worthy system tonite and was very pleased. It replaced a dual psu EZ DAC, I have found the EZ DAC to have a lot of detail, space, and to have a punchy character, but always felt is was a bit sharp and aggressive. The Subbu Dac has a the same level of detail, a great sense of space, and is more relaxed. Definitely somewhat warmer. All in all I prefer the Subbu Dac.

PJN

spirovious: your power supply has much too high input voltage. It seems that you are using the single tap output with the IC2 regulator and its potentiometer. Now when the input voltage is around 26V (to get out the maximum of 24V) and the output voltage is 5V and let's assume that the output current is 50mA, then the power dissipation for that regulator is: (26V - 5V) * 50mA = 1.0W

If that regulator is LM317T, then it should not be used without a heat sink when the power dissipation exceeds 0.25W. So you need the change your transformer to one with lower secondary voltage or put a heat sink on that poor regulator.

As the output voltage has dropped dramatically, it might indicate that the heat has damaged the regulator. So I'd change those heated up parts as well.

About changing the transformer: this can only be done when you are not using the other dual output for anything that would need so high output voltages.

I have some questions about Power supply modifications-

Is there any way that I get BOM parts and use with my current PS?
https://googledrive.com/host/0B35mh...c V3/SUBBU DAC Power Supply V3 Schematics.pdf
https://googledrive.com/host/0B35mh...ubbu Dac V3/SUBBU DAC Power Supply V3 BOM.pdf

My PS has 22-0-22 transformer.GB PS(Group buy power supply)has a regulator(IC1-LM723N) for 5V.It accept input from 2V to 37V.It is adjustable.
Mouser Electronics - Electronic Components Distributor

So can I connect my Transformer to this?
Looking at BOM parts,is it that with either of the voltage input,output will be always fixed to 5V?Or we need different parts to achieve it?

Another way is that I connect GB PS parts(without rectifier)to 24V output of my current PS and let the regulator converts to 5V?

Due to poor knowledge I am asking such questions which can be silly.
Please answer.
Thanks.