Build This MoFo!

Joined 2004
Paid Member
Then it occurred to me that I heard this sound before. Dare I say it? (Gulp!)
It sounds like the M2! It's that same command of the speaker cones and tonal saturation. The kind of sound that make you want to listen for hours and hours, and maybe even want to call out of work! ;)

Sorry for the drama, but I get emotional over this stuff sometimes. I'll regret writing this later, but for now, it's true. At least, it's the way I see it.
Give the MoFo a chance if you are on the fence. It deserves it.

Vince

;) OK, I must ask. If you had to choose one, which would it be, M2 vs MoFo, and why?

Joined 2000
Paid Member
OK, I must ask. If you had to choose one, which would it be, M2 vs MoFo, and why?

Let me preface by saying I borrowed a dual-mono M2 from Schubert, a fellow local audiophile and DIYer here. The M2 really left an impression on me. With that in mind, I can't from memory say exactly how the M2 would compare to the 24v MoFo.

I thought about building the M2, even while I had the MoFo finished, just so I could reference it's sound. Wasn't until listening to the MoFo with a proper preamp that I got the impression that I heard this sound before. My F5T v2, F6, F7 simulated, ACA, L'amps don't sound like the M2 or MoFo. The MoFo come close from what I remember.
However, we know we can't trust my memory. :D

Would I build an M2 now? Probably not. Be easier to borrow Schubert's M2 again and do a head to head. For me it's not about which is better, it's about the sound they produce. If I'm wrong about the proximity of sound reproduction to the MoFo, I might be crazy enough to build a M2. Just to have it.

Because of the easier power supply, but more costly chokes, I think the build cost of M2 vs MoFo balances out. I built my cases, but it doesn't make them any cheaper.
I think it's wise to build the MoFo as mono-blocks. Just for the weight aspect. Cost of either one shouldn't come into the picture anyway.

The painful part was then building another BA3-pre, because I didn't want to mod the already existing BA3-pre. Still, it was worth it. :D

This is my roundabout way of saying, from what I hear and what I put into it, I am more than happy with the MoFo. The pain, 5 simultaneous paper-cuts caused by aluminum splinters and a week to recover, the time and money were all worth it. :)

Don't let the single-ended aspect of the MoFo fool you. It kicks ***. Speakers are ported monitors with 86db efficiency, nominal 6 ohms.
The MoFo doesn't care. Man, I'm using a Daphile music server and SMSL M8 DAC.
You'd think it were tubes and vinyl. Just luscious!

This is just my two cents. Maybe I got lucky. You should be so lucky! ;)

Vince

MoFo with IRFP140N is burning

First: Big Thanks to Michael- great stuff Dude!
To choose from that many good shared ideas i have started from low cost
with Hmd. 159ZC Inductors.

Now the third all day long :) the MoFo is heating up the living room.
The Bricks i have borrowed from ACA- 20V,5A.
For daily listening i must reduce stable bias to 1,7V- measured over coil- otherwise heat goes to high and bias is lsowly raisng up.
Just for first start up now.
Capacitors are MKS4 2,2u+ parr.0,1 pp and KA is bypassed with 1u pp.
This ones: Weber :: Film Foil :: Capacitors :: Passive Components :: Electronic Parts :: Banzai Music GmbH

What i read here there is a wide range possibilities for testing out, playing arround, in future, to find the own sweet spot.

My only useable source is directly connect to TV from HP out and regulate with remote.
First impressions: to early? not sure ;).
Clearness is first impressing, stable center, separation image. I miss in moment a bit more 3D image.
Tonality is clear from deeps to highs with authority all on Pauls little Overnight Sensation.
Before i was listening to, finally fixed, little PCL86 animal 3,5W with anode to katode FB.
They are close and also little different....as much other Amps.

Attachments

• PIC_0444.jpg
    PIC_0444.jpg
    573.7 KB · Views: 813
Pass DIY Apprentice
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Excellent! :)

My observation is that MoFo can really only shine with a the right sort of preamp, that is having adequate gain and voltage swing. Of course, the more efficient your speakers, the less you may need to be happy. Anything weak will probably sound soft and threadbare. The right preamp is what brings out the dynamics and big soundscape.

Last edited:
Pass DIY Apprentice
Joined 2001
Paid Member
I've tried several:

FirstWatt B1-XFRMR
Adcom GFP-750 (modified for 19dB)
LuminAria
Audio Research LS-3
Chinese Marantz Clone
A few of my prototypes
I haven't built a BA-3, but I'm sure it's very suitable. I'd also love to hear an Impasse, but so far I haven't found time to finish mine.

All performed well. (also keep in mind my speakers are 95dB) :)

My observation is that MoFo can really only shine with a the right sort of preamp, that is having adequate gain and voltage swing.

Thank you for kind advice.
So next step should be finnish a Preamp build, first, ok.
BA-3FE was waiting since any time now.
Also the Salss DCG-3/Teabag Kit i have most parts to finnish. I know it's only max 4 x gain, but how it works for my listening?, will find it out.

And the Lender is on PriorList too.
It not needed exotic expensive parts, so it matched my possibilities mostly.

MoGain MoFo may be of interest later this year. Basically, peanut butter and chocolate. :)
That makes anxious to wait for new appetiser (canape).

Hello, I’m finishing up my PP MoFo and was wondering if their was a P channel equivalent of the IRPF250? I’m currently using the IRPF240 and the IRFP9240. Thank you!

Bao

Attachments

• F062FD14-259A-44F5-872E-C18F959C4839.jpg
    F062FD14-259A-44F5-872E-C18F959C4839.jpg
    979 KB · Views: 837
  • 98B527EB-21AF-44AB-A7C4-95E7D56AFFB2.jpg
    98B527EB-21AF-44AB-A7C4-95E7D56AFFB2.jpg
    1,005 KB · Views: 830
  • 11B93B77-940F-4803-A247-B1DA360CB5D4.jpg
    11B93B77-940F-4803-A247-B1DA360CB5D4.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 771