• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

Buffalo III - SE

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
1) I'm wondering if there isn't problem in changing R25-26 (I use SE), I thought about it (for fun). Texas Components Corporation
No problem to use this series (50ppm)? Still 22.1ohms?

2) I also thought to replace the C15 to 20, any advice? Want to test the Cerafine. They have 5mm spacing, but I think it's doable. The main problem is that the 100µF/25V is 16mm high, so I thought take the 16V which is 12.5mm.
Can someone confirm there will be no issue with these 100µF/16V Cerafine caps ? (ELNAC-100) - 100uF 16V Elna Cerafine Electrolytic Capacitor Hifi Collective or, if someone has a better suggestion...
Thanks a lot guys :)

The resistor change should be fine, but the voltage rating of the caps is too low. I don't want to discourage you from experimenting, but you are replacing some very good parts: mil-spec low noise resistors common in high-end audio, and caps designed specifically for audio (http://nichicon-us.com/english/products/pdfs/e-kw.pdf).

Resistors

Do you think? It's in the signal path so I believe it would be an improvement... So, nothing can be easily tweaked on this IVY3?

I would try Texas Components TX-2575 for the resistors, if you can afford it... Be sure to buy the 0.1% versions to maintain tight matching.
Theoretically, the TX-2575 will be "best", lowest noise, and highest precision (you could even use 0.01% for even higher higher precision), but whether you will actually hear a difference versus the excellent Vishay/Dale resistors provided in the kit... only you can find that out by trying.
Russ also posted somewhere about the IVY-III perhaps performing better with 360R feedback resitors around both opamps.... I think? I cannot remember where this came up, maybe in the Legato 3 thread somewhere, but do not take my memory on this... Maybe ask Russ.

For one how doesn't know how to program the firmware - would it be possible that you can change that in firmware and ship one to me if i order some other small stuff from you?

Why i would need it is because i have two DPDT relays that will switch inputs on the spdif input selector, as a 2-bit selector. and one of the switches on each relay will be IP_S short. (so the only time i2s will be on is when both relays are disabeled, and 01, 10, 11 will be different SPDIF inputs. I designed the PCB before i knew how the IP_S worked - and now it seems like im stuck if i cannot get the IP_S short to be SPDIF-on.

It's actually not exactly a firmware thing, the IP_S header has two pins, one connected to GND and the other connects to the select pin on BUS MUXes on the DAC board. Lets call that pin "S". That pin is pulled up by a resistor to VD. All the jumper does is switch it to GND. So what you could do is use a simple inverter gate to the "S" pin. :)

I think what Brian meant was you could use a controller to drive the "S" pin, of course that would require some firmware.

Last edited:
Hi everyone,

After a lot of thinking, I think I decided to make a IIISE build for my home use.Only SP/DIF input, 1 XLR output.

I have some questions since I am a newbie at this regarding the parts and the implementation:

As I understood from the manual I will need the following parts for the SE version:

-Buffalo IIISE DAC board with trident regulator combo set
-Legato 3.1
-Placid HD
-Placid HD BP
-Transformer 9V (30VA)
-Transformer 15V (30VA)

Now my question is the following:

1) I want to order the Paul Hynes regs Kit for the DAC board and I would like your opinion if I should order the board without AVCC/Tridents or not?

2) Will the Placid HD be enough for the board with the Hynes regs?

3) Regarding the transformers, I want to get transformers from www.canterburywindings.co.uk , and I got the following info from them:

Power rating: 30VAPrimary: 0-230V @ 50HzSecondaries: 2 x 0-9V @ 1.67A rmsRegulation: approx 11%Estimated dimensions: 77mm diameter away from leadouts x 30mm highMounting: standard mounting kit (adds approx 4.5mm to the height)Leadouts: approx 200mm long flexible (stranded)Audio grade construction

Power rating: 30VAPrimary: 0-230V @ 50HzSecondaries: 2 x 0-15V @ 1A rmsRegulation: approx 11%Estimated dimensions: 77mm diameter away from leadouts x 30mm highMounting: standard mounting kit (adds approx 4.5mm to the height)Leadouts: approx 200mm long flexible (stranded)Audio grade construction

Can I use these transformers or they need to be changed, given all the info until now?

4) For the end, do you have some remarks or tips what to be changed or it's fine like this?

I want to keep it relatively simple, but still not skimp on the power supply sections.

Thanks

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.