• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

Buffalo III - flexibility without compromise.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Russ, congrats on the Buffalo III!

And a question: I'm trying to get independent from receivers as much as possible to handle multichannel (AC3 5.1 or DTS) sources in a more direct way, not going through the receiver's internal and all compromises they must do. Particularly on what DACs they use and how they handle the analog outputs.

Is that possible with the Buffalo III?

A friend of mine told me that I should have access to at least three I2S signals from most DVD/BD players. Is that so?

Is anyone doing this? Have you tried it, Russ?

Carlos

Joined 2009
Paid Member
Hi Russ
XI clock input pin of ESS9018 have to have a pull-down resistor on it? If the answer is yes, then can you recommend a value for this resistor?
For the main oscillator/clock used (27, 54, 80, 100 Mhz) it is necessary to set up some registry in one special way through the firmware, or this clock values/frequencies can be just changed (hardware) as one want/need?
Thanks for an answer.

Joined 2009
Paid Member
Hi Russ

For the main oscillator/clock used (27, 54, 80, 100 Mhz) it is necessary to set up some registry in one special way through the firmware, or this clock values/frequencies can be just changed (hardware) as one want/need?
Thanks for an answer.

I refer to my previous post/questions.
For the question quoted above here, I just found it the answer my self... It works very well (in my case) to only do the hardware change. Very fine result after the increasing the clock frequency! I`m not experimenting on Buffalo III (I didn`t get it yet...), but on a consumer product with ESS9018 inside.

So, Russ it could be nice to have your answer on my previous (first) question... Thanks.

(XI clock input pin of ESS9018 have to have a pull-down resistor on it? If the answer is yes, then can you recommend a value for this resistor?)

Speaking of clocks, is there going to be a way to bypass the ASRC with the BIII in so that one can master clock via i2s? Please excuse me if this has already been covered.

You can bypass the OSF and turn off the jitter reduction if that is what you mean.

Just supply a master clock at least 192fs for PCM and 386fs for SPDIF nothing very tricky. :)

Russ, congrats on the Buffalo III!

And a question: I'm trying to get independent from receivers as much as possible to handle multichannel (AC3 5.1 or DTS) sources in a more direct way, not going through the receiver's internal and all compromises they must do. Particularly on what DACs they use and how they handle the analog outputs.

Is that possible with the Buffalo III?

A friend of mine told me that I should have access to at least three I2S signals from most DVD/BD players. Is that so?

Is anyone doing this? Have you tried it, Russ?

Carlos

Well you could pick off the PCM signals from a hacked receiver, or you could use one of the HDMI audio converter boxes and do the same thing there.

The audio decoding stuff for Dolby/DTS etc is all heavily licensed, so not much chance I will be doing anything with those. :)

Well you could pick off the PCM signals from a hacked receiver, or you could use one of the HDMI audio converter boxes and do the same thing there.

The audio decoding stuff for Dolby/DTS etc is all heavily licensed, so not much chance I will be doing anything with those. :)

Of course I was not expecting you to solve the decoding part of the problem. The player takes care of that.

What I need is four I2S inputs, to pick them BEFORE they go into my player's DAC and let the Buffalo do the rest of the decoding.

My Bluray LG BD390 player is using an AK4359 DAC with such inputs, but the outpus are not something you would bring to a serious listener.

I tried but couldn't get a complete ESS9018 datasheet, showing all the pins and specs, but I imagine the multiple I2S inputs are there, as on the AK

Carlos

What modules would I need to input four I2S signals into the BIII? How do I select between say three "I2S teams" (4x each)?

Nothing needed to input 4 I2S streams (8 channels of audio)... just connect them. For switching, you would need something off-board to accomplish it. We don;t have a product for that scenario at the moment. It coudl be done with mux chips or relays.

Nothing needed to input 4 I2S streams (8 channels of audio)... just connect them. For switching, you would need something off-board to accomplish it. We don;t have a product for that scenario at the moment. It coudl be done with mux chips or relays.

I'm actually planning on making an I2S switcher that can handle 8 channels of data. So ideally I could pick between the S/PDIF switcher from TPA, and an I2S source via the exaU2I USB receiver. I'll start figuring it out once I get my BIII

How does the Sidecar work? Is it just basically relays switching each line of the I2S? I assume that I would need to switch between GND, DCK, LR, GND, DVCC, D1.2, D3.4, D5.6, D7.8 coming from the exaU2I and the same coming from the S/PDIF switcher (TPA product) minus those extra data lines? Or... does the S/PDIF switcher support 8-channel inputs?

Joined 2009
Paid Member
I haven't been on the forum for a while. Just read this now. :) No you don't need any pull down resistor unless the clock you are using requires one.

The best thing for you to do would be to get the datasheet if your interested in such things.

Hi Russ

Thanks for your useful answer.
About data sheet it looks that is not so easy to get it... I have that one for ESS9008 and that is all. Anyway, I just found it that resistor 390 ohm on that XI pin og the DAC(to GND), and thought that is not so well to have it that there, because only lower the clock signal before this get it in to the ESS9018. The oscillator is an common type one. I looks me now that this consumer product has enough design faults...
Anyway thanks, and still waiting for hear soon my Buffalo III...

I'm actually planning on making an I2S switcher that can handle 8 channels of data. So ideally I could pick between the S/PDIF switcher from TPA, and an I2S source via the exaU2I USB receiver. I'll start figuring it out once I get my BIII

How does the Sidecar work? Is it just basically relays switching each line of the I2S? I assume that I would need to switch between GND, DCK, LR, GND, DVCC, D1.2, D3.4, D5.6, D7.8 coming from the exaU2I and the same coming from the S/PDIF switcher (TPA product) minus those extra data lines? Or... does the S/PDIF switcher support 8-channel inputs?

Sidecar schematic will be up soon. It is pretty simple.

It switches between *stereo* I2S and SPDIF sources. There is an important reason for this (which will be very clear when you look at it) in that the ES9018 only ever operates in stereo or mono mode with SPDIF input. So it does not make sense to switch between SPDIF and 8 channel PCM because the DAC has to be physically reconfigured for each case.

Switching between 2 multichannel PCM sources would not be hard at all and if people really want that we can do a PCM only sidecar, but I don't see that being something most people will need.

Sidecar schematic will be up soon. It is pretty simple.

It switches between *stereo* I2S and SPDIF sources. There is an important reason for this (which will be very clear when you look at it) in that the ES9018 only ever operates in stereo or mono mode with SPDIF input. So it does not make sense to switch between SPDIF and 8 channel PCM because the DAC has to be physically reconfigured for each case.

Switching between 2 multichannel PCM sources would not be hard at all and if people really want that we can do a PCM only sidecar, but I don't see that being something most people will need.

So in that case, you're saying that if I want to use 8-channel I2S and then switch to a S/PDIF source coming from the S/PDIF switcher, the DAC needs to be reconfigured? Is this a case of just changing a jumper, or much more involved? I can see just adding a digital switch with my Arduino code to control this, but would need to know more.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.