• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

Buffalo III - flexibility without compromise.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I got one !!!

I was lucky too))) to get one. I think (after 3 months of chasing Buffalo), with time counter it is just matter to be at TPA site exactly on time 00:00 (determined by counter) and try to refresh page exactly at first second, then immediately add BIII to the cart. Actually what I saw yesterday, as someone said "they are gone in a seconds", seems to be true.

The only problem I have had - I ordered 2 Placid Bps instead of 1 during the ordering rush)), hope that TPA can adjust my order and refund for the one which I do not need.

So buying BIII is possible, yet requires quick reaction:)

The SPDIF 4 module is designed to accept any of the following:

1) Consumer SPDIF
2) AES/EBU
3) TTL Level SPDIF

The default config is consumer SPDIF. The are some parts that need to be substituted for the other two options. The manual will be up soon and it has details on using each.

There are 8 spdif inputs. Can I use only one or two for the AES/EBU and the rest spdif? Can this be done on the output as well?
Thanks.

The Buf 3 board iself is not designed to accept anything other than TTL signals. Not AES/EBU etc.

In the previous post I was referring to the SPDIF-4 module with converts consumer and most AES(as long as the signal voltage is not too high) to TTL for use with the Buf 3.

It supports 4 inputs. Not 8. The reason is practical. Very few people will actually switch between 8 sources. So it does not make sense to make everyone bear the cost of something they won't use. :)

I have a single SPDIF/AES board coming which can be used for up to 8 inputs, but it would require its own firmware if you used more than 4.

I too am a lucky recipient of a BIII on the first round. I think one needs to have it thought through ahead of time and watch the clock. I had my other stuff in the cart awaiting the count down. Quickly refreshed the page upon 0:00, added the BIII and paid within 0:30.

Luck was a factor, but one does need to act quickly with intent. I was all giddy about it and my GF laughed at me sweetly...

The Buf 3 board iself is not designed to accept anything other than TTL signals. Not AES/EBU etc.

In the previous post I was referring to the SPDIF-4 module with converts consumer and most AES(as long as the signal voltage is not too high) to TTL for use with the Buf 3.

Is this where the '4-Channel S/PDIF Input and Switch Module Kit' comes into play? This 'SPDIF-4 module' will feed the BIII with TTL signals. If yes, then can I configure 2 channels to accept AES/EBU and the other 2 channel S/PDIF?

Is the 'Sidecar S/PDIF/PCM Switch Module Kit' for switching between these inputs? Or is the 'Sidecar' for switching the 4 inputs from S/PDIF inputs to PCM (I2S) or to DSD inputs?

It supports 4 inputs. Not 8. The reason is practical. Very few people will actually switch between 8 sources. So it does not make sense to make everyone bear the cost of something they won't use. :)

Makes perfect sense.
I have a single SPDIF/AES board coming which can be used for up to 8 inputs, but it would require its own firmware if you used more than 4.

So at the meantime, if we need 8 inputs, we get 2 of the '4-Channel S/PDIF Input and Switch Module Kit', is this correct?

We do not need additional PSU for these additional modules ('4-Channel S/PDIF Input and Switch Module Kit' and the 'Sidecar S/PDIF/PCM Switch Module Kit'). These will be powered by the BIII board, is this correct?

As for the outputs, we can configure it for 8 channels by installing jumpers on the board. We can use it for HT?

Thank you in advance for your reply.

A lot of questions, most have already been answered in this thread, and I've covered most of them in the new guide for the BIII. Russ is working hard on the manual, as soon as it's up I'll fill in the voids that are in my guide and upload it.

For now, in short:
- No
- Likely, it's not described yet.

- No
- Yes

- No
- Yes, but you obviously need to increase power input on the BIII when using fi. the Placid HD
- Yes, but the 8 channel input is a bit of a problem. You can't feed it HMDI as that is an HDCP encrypted stream.

Would someone well-informed be so kind to englighten my newness regarding Buffalo III DAC functionality?
I don't understand the question. Pretty much all of the functionality is described in the thread or on the TPA website already.
Currently I'm very busy working on the guide, and I'm VERY certain Russ is working hard for you guys to finish the manuals. It just takes a lot of time...

I don't understand the question. Pretty much all of the functionality is described in the thread or on the TPA website already.
Currently I'm very busy working on the guide, and I'm VERY certain Russ is working hard for you guys to finish the manuals. It just takes a lot of time...

Manual is good, I don't mind and have no doubts it's necessary, even encourage you guys to make it.
The point is the lack of information of the BIII functionality is producing an uncertainty of buying this DAC for me, which I would like to order now without waiting until manual will be released, if it complies with my needs.
Regards.

Last edited:
You'll have to get a little more specific about your needs. Lack of information is simply not correct with regard to the functionality, altough it takes a lot of reading. Lack of information about how to access the functionality: yes, that would be correct. I can propably help you with the functionality bits however.

You'll have to get a little more specific about your needs. Lack of information is simply not correct with regard to the functionality, altough it takes a lot of reading. Lack of information about how to access the functionality: yes, that would be correct. I can propably help you with the functionality bits however.

1. I'm curious what about building a single multichannel I/V stage if this is in future plans?
2. How to configure BIII to voltage-output mode with required rms level? What exactly depends on output stage used, as it's stated in BIII descriptoon at TPA website? In voltage-output mode can I use BIII outputs directly as SE outputs?
3. Would you please confirm the register settings in BIII on-board controller of swapping between normal and phase mode of ES9018, as Russ said in post 92? Does it means BIII will except DSD128fs input signal? And OSF bypass mode likewise?
4. Can I feed a digital out from my sound card directly into BIII inputs assuming that sound card digital out is TTL SPDIF?
In BIII SPDIF inputs is not like described in datasheet of ES9018? Does it means SPDIF3? BIII in this way will always have only 2ch input and output (not full 8ch) at a time due to a lack of decoder chip?
5. Is there an approximate date when 8ch 32/384 USB transport will be offered to order?
6. Are there pros and cons of using LCDPS to power BIII than Placid?
Regards.

Last edited:
1. I'm curious what about building a single multichannel I/V stage if this is in future plans?
2. How to configure BIII to voltage-output mode with required rms level? What exactly depends on output stage used, as it's stated in BIII descriptoon at TPA website? In voltage-output mode can I use BIII outputs directly as SE outputs?
3. Would you please confirm the register settings in BIII on-board controller of swapping between normal and phase mode of ES9018, as Russ said in post 92? Does it means BIII will except DSD128fs input signal? And OSF bypass mode likewise?
4. Can I feed a digital out from my sound card directly into BIII inputs assuming that sound card digital out is TTL SPDIF?
In BIII SPDIF inputs is not like described in datasheet of ES9018? Does it means SPDIF3? BIII in this way will always have only 2ch input and output (not full 8ch) at a time due to a lack of decoder chip?
5. Is there an approximate date when 8ch 32/384 USB transport will be offered to order?
6. Are there pros and cons of using LCDPS to power BIII than Placid?
Regards.

1. No plans for that currently.
2. The ES9018 will act as either a voltage-source or current-source depending on the input impedance of the output stage used. To act as a current source, the output stage has to present a near-zero ohm load. Otherwise, it will act as a voltage-source.
3. I need to double-check that...
4. The inputs are exactly as described in the datasheet: 8 TTL S/PDIF inputs.
5. No date yet
6. Placid is lower noise, but the trident and a vcc local shunt regulators will dominate noise performance. Either supply will work very well. There will be subjective differences on this one.

1) I may consider it if it seems enough people are actually using the DAC for 8 channels. I seriously doubt it. In any case you can easily just use as many IVY-III or Legato as you need.

3) I was actually mistaken on this topic earlier. It had been a while since I changed a DSD setup when I had posted that. :) There should be no change in register required for normal mode vs phase mode DSD (in fact there is no register to change). The ES9018 should detect and lock onto either normal or phase mode data without any issues.

4) The ES9018 itself will *only* ever decode stereo SPDIF. It simply cannot be used for more than 2 channels with SPDIF using the built in receiver ever. :) To do more than 2 channels you need PCM or DSD.

5) It likely won't be 8 channels. At least not the first version.

4) The ES9018 itself will *only* ever decode stereo SPDIF. It simply cannot be used for more than 2 channels with SPDIF using the built in receiver ever. :) To do more than 2 channels you need PCM or DSD.

5) It likely won't be 8 channels. At least not the first version.
You are right about SPDIF :) I misunderstood the datasheet.
What other way is left for us to use 32/384 8ch with home equipment and BIII if there won't be 8ch usb transport?
Have you tested BIII, does it support DSD128fs input?

Last edited:
What other way is left to use 32/384 8ch with home equipment and BIII if there won't be 8ch usb transport?
Have you tested BIII, does it support DSD128fs input?

Who said their wouldn't ever be 8 channel USB? I was just saying the first USB module will not be. :)

If by DSD128fs you mean bi-phase encoded DSD, then yes. The best thing for you to do here is read the datasheet. :) It will support exactly what the ES9018 supports no more no less. :)

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.