• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

Buffalo II

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Looked at the schematic of Buffalo I (i don't have the schematic of B II)...

I've hunted around and cannot find a schematic for the B2 on this site or TPA.

Russ, I emailed you recently about problems with my B2 build but got no reply. A schematic for the B2 with parts identified would be helpful. Could you please release one?

I'm also connecting to a Squeezebox (Classic v3) and I get no lock. I need to fault find and have tried all the other options for people who had locking problems to no avail. The only thing left is the comparator, but I don't know what part# this is so I could try replacing it.

I won't ask any thing more because these can be answered with a schematic post and part number for the comparator and I don't want to 'jack the thread.

Thanks,
IG

I've had mine sitting in a drawer for ages due to time constraints but I've now finally put it together. Buffalo 2, 80mhz clock with IVY3, PRP, Riken, Silmic etc, nothing fancy and for the time being I'm using three LM317 regs. I know the regs will be letting it down but they were to hand and I wanted to get an idea of the 'flavour' before going crazy.

I'm running balanced (SE not populated) into a massive headphone amp and using three different sets of 'cans. Source is an EMU 0404 SPDIF and my only other active reference is a Chinese PCM1798 with discrete output stage and some regulator mods, by no means anything special.

Kit went together great, all working first time, little dc offset and instant lock so very happy.

The proplem I have is with the way it sounds, which is nothing like the hype I have been reading. I'm really disapointed with it, on a technical level the qualities are all there, good depth, seperation and space, nice timbre, it is fast and agile maybe a little lean and I am hearing 'new' things however it is harsh, dull and tiring, there is a edge to everything midrange up that just hurts long term. There is nothing exciting or captivating about it, no enjoyment just a good mechnical and robotic representation of the music.

So, where do I go now? I was going to swap all the regs for Paul Hynes shunts before I heard it but now I have I doubt they are going to fix what I don't like. I guess I need a new I/V but is Legato going to make that difference?

Does anyone else have a similar experience? Maybe ESS is not for me, I only ever use headphones and maybe it is a bad pairing.

I'm not having a go by the way, the product and service was great and I'm more than happy with that but it just may not be for me. :)

I've had mine sitting in a drawer for ages due to time constraints but I've now finally put it together. Buffalo 2, 80mhz clock with IVY3, PRP, Riken, Silmic etc, nothing fancy and for the time being I'm using three LM317 regs. I know the regs will be letting it down but they were to hand and I wanted to get an idea of the 'flavour' before going crazy.

I'm running balanced (SE not populated) into a massive headphone amp and using three different sets of 'cans. Source is an EMU 0404 SPDIF and my only other active reference is a Chinese PCM1798 with discrete output stage and some regulator mods, by no means anything special.

Kit went together great, all working first time, little dc offset and instant lock so very happy.

The proplem I have is with the way it sounds, which is nothing like the hype I have been reading. I'm really disapointed with it, on a technical level the qualities are all there, good depth, seperation and space, nice timbre, it is fast and agile maybe a little lean and I am hearing 'new' things however it is harsh, dull and tiring, there is a edge to everything midrange up that just hurts long term. There is nothing exciting or captivating about it, no enjoyment just a good mechnical and robotic representation of the music.

So, where do I go now? I was going to swap all the regs for Paul Hynes shunts before I heard it but now I have I doubt they are going to fix what I don't like. I guess I need a new I/V but is Legato going to make that difference?

Does anyone else have a similar experience? Maybe ESS is not for me, I only ever use headphones and maybe it is a bad pairing.

I'm not having a go by the way, the product and service was great and I'm more than happy with that but it just may not be for me. :)

I don't have the answer for what is causing the not so good sound quality but you might have the right ideas already (Legato & shuntregs).

I can give you some hope. I got the BII+Legato+Placid PSUs in summer 2010 and have never been blown away by the sound quality and had some of the same feelings like you about mechanical and robotic representation. So in fact disappointed and I considered to get a turntable back into my system.

Lately I built the Legato III (balanced only) and changed the input from USB-I2S to optical input (I changed the interface so I can play 24 bit material). Furthermore up sampling to 96 kHz (not that I believe that it matters.)

Now we are talking! Fluid, effortless and dynamic representation as I know from the best turntables I've heard. No digital artifacts at all. Pure music only!
I never thought it would be possible to get this kind of sound quality from digital audio. Happy I was wrong. :D

Joined 2009
Paid Member

I owned a Ivy with BII with TP PSU regs, I heard the sound as you described so I sold the Ivy & TP PSU regs and bought a Legato 2 (changed output caps for 4.7uF Auricaps) + BII powered both with Salas regs (new combo Legato + Salas regs big upgrade), finally I bought the new Legato without output caps & a new BIII + Sidecar + SPDIF 4-1, now I'm connecting all & I will use Salas regs for BIII & for Legato III.

I did try upsampling last night but I can only go 88.2/96khz with the EMU 0404 as that is all it can do externally. 88.2khz was better than 44.1khz using foobar and the old SRC plugin, I was suprised because normally I always prefer native. There may be more ground to be gained here.

I have a Peter Daniels TDA1543 and I plugged into that in a fit of temper (usually a speaker only DAC) and yea it's noisy and the detail is not there but its enjoyable, rythmic and makes you want listen. I need this type of sound.

I was avoiding Legato 3 because I need caps as my amp is not tolerant of the DC, the only caps I've ever really liked in coupling are BG N and as we know they are stupid prices now. However, I do want this to work and there is a good upgrade in the Sabre32 vs my current setup....I just need to extract it.

I guess I'll try Legato first, I'm in on the purchase of the D1 I/V but thats ages away...

Joined 2009
Paid Member
You need to download the ASIO component from Foobar2000 so you can get 192kHz usign analog outputs from EMU-0404USB.

TDAs have a lot of jitter as I read on the net.

Can use caps with Legato just be sure the value of your next stage input impedance, you can calculate here with the calculator: Coupling Capacitor Calculator by V-Cap

I owned a D1 I/V from Owen aka opc and sold here in the swap meet.

I owned a Ivy with BII with TP PSU regs, I heard the sound as you described so I sold the Ivy & TP PSU regs and bought a Legato 2 (changed output caps for 4.7uF Auricaps) + BII powered both with Salas regs (new combo Legato + Salas regs big upgrade), finally I bought the new Legato without output caps & a new BIII + Sidecar + SPDIF 4-1, now I'm connecting all & I will use Salas regs for BIII & for Legato III.

How does it sound?

You need to download the ASIO component from Foobar2000 so you can get 192kHz usign analog outputs from EMU-0404USB.

TDAs have a lot of jitter as I read on the net.

Can use caps with Legato just be sure the value of your next stage input impedance, you can calculate here with the calculator: Coupling Capacitor Calculator by V-Cap

I owned a D1 I/V from Owen aka opc and sold here in the swap meet.
I can make EMU0404 play at 192khz only if feeded by USB. SPDIF inputs only supports up to 96Khz.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.