• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

Buffalo II

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Russ,

I didn't try to reverse a commercial product, just tried to start a discussion about filters, and maybe try to make the buffalo just a little bit better.

Or a least give the user more options than the two we currently have.

It could very well be that a filter you tried and didn't like to much would work wonderful in my setup...or the setup of an other buffalo user.

Just seeking some support....but alas.

Still a very very nice product especially combined with legato.

Emile

Hi Emile,

I don't mind discussing a "filter". Show me one to my and we will discuss it. It is not enough to know that one exists, I have to know more than that.

As for options, you have the option. :cool: The DAC can use any filter we please. We just need to create it.

I am not questioning your motives, I just would want to work from an idea to a solution, and not the other way around.

Cheers!
Russ

My...

understanding is that the ESS 9018 is programmable, allowing for custom designed digital filters to be used. There are many different ways to do digital filtering-the latest fashion is to make digital filters which reduce pre-ringing (Meridian, Ayre, Wolfson) or reduce pre-ringing and post ringing (Ayre). All digital filters come with various trade offs, like phase shifts, increased pre and/or post ringing, high frequenecy roll-off, increased leakage of alias products. The key is to balance the trade offs, in the service of the music, perhaps accepting a little phase shift, alias leakage, and high frequency roll-off to eliminate pre-ringing, as one example.
You can read about Ayre's MP filter approaches at their website, and this will give some explanation as to different types of filters.

is that possible to leave the signal "unfiltered"? Any filter will introduce distorsions in time domain

...we don't listen to averages over time, we listen just in time!

Pietro

understanding is that the ESS 9018 is programmable, allowing for custom designed digital filters to be used. There are many different ways to do digital filtering-the latest fashion is to make digital filters which reduce pre-ringing (Meridian, Ayre, Wolfson) or reduce pre-ringing and post ringing (Ayre). All digital filters come with various trade offs, like phase shifts, increased pre and/or post ringing, high frequenecy roll-off, increased leakage of alias products. The key is to balance the trade offs, in the service of the music, perhaps accepting a little phase shift, alias leakage, and high frequency roll-off to eliminate pre-ringing, as one example.
You can read about Ayre's MP filter approaches at their website, and this will give some explanation as to different types of filters.

Is it possible to use a single transformer to power both a palcid and a placid bp? If so what kind of transf is recommended?

While it is possible it is not advisable.

You can use one trafo that has 3 secondaries (not very common but can be made).

You can you one dual trafo and share the same secondary that is used for V+ on the bipolar supply for the digital supply. Be very careful here, if you use the other secondary you will make smoke.

You will need to make sure your trafo is sized appropriately in either case.

I happen to know a tiny bit about filters. What are the constraints (taps, etc)?

Unfortunately I am afraid if I persue this I am going to get into NDA trouble. :(

The short of it is all the info you need is in the DS.

I have created several filters using Octave. I have been reluctant to promote that feature for DIY until I get permission to discuss that portion of the datasheet.

Cheers!
Russ

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.