• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

Buffalo DAC (ESS Sabre 9008)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Amazing what you find when you pack up your house...

So, I am packing up my house for a move, and of course, saved TPA headquarters (basement) for last. Digging through some stuff I had stashed under the desk, I come across a box, look inside, and what do I find?

wait for it...

35 Buffalo DACs, version 1.2. All ready to be boxed up.

...I should be waking up at any moment...

...nope, they are still there in front of me.

Weird... I have no idea how I could have overlooked them.

Okay, so I guess I have some Buffalo 24's to sell.

I'll throw them up in the Parts Bin of the site sometime in the next day or so. Since they are so "old tech," they will be $159 each.

Wait, one sec... nope, still there in the box... not dreaming.

I want to have a Buffalo32 with both I2S input and S/PDIF.

Is it possible to wire a simple switch from the S/PDIF on/off switch position for this or should I use an S/PDIF to I2S converter and OTTO?

The concern I have is that both will be plugged into my computer (ESI Juli@ I2S mod and soundcard with S/PDIF output), both active at same time, but I want to have this switched and don't want to run into problems.

Fact that it's the same computer with 2 different souncards, is there an easy way to feed the Buffalo32 both I2S and S/PDIF with a simple switch (S/PDIF ON/OFF switch on the board) or should there be some other switching going on if there will be signals present on both the I2S and S/PDIF data/clock wires?

Hmm.. does bring me to the concern of having those wires connected (S/PDIF data and I2S data) on the digital source end, not sure how happy the S/PDIF of a sound card will be when it's seeing I2S data.

Guess the safest bet would be to use the S/PDIF receiver.

FallenAngel said:
Fact that it's the same computer with 2 different souncards, is there an easy way to feed the Buffalo32 both I2S and S/PDIF with a simple switch (S/PDIF ON/OFF switch on the board) or should there be some other switching going on if there will be signals present on both the I2S and S/PDIF data/clock wires?

Hmm.. does bring me to the concern of having those wires connected (S/PDIF data and I2S data) on the digital source end, not sure how happy the S/PDIF of a sound card will be when it's seeing I2S data.

Guess the safest bet would be to use the S/PDIF receiver.

The S/PDIF switch on the board handles the actual S/PDIF data stream, and channels it either to the comparator for level shifting, or directly to the DAC. You will want to do any switching before that point, using something like the OTTO that can switch the I2S completely off when S/PDIF is in use.

FallenAngel said:
One more thing, I'm considering having an ES9008 "minimalist" DAC - just a dual PSU and Buffalo running in Voltage-out mode, but I haven't seen how to actually set the DAC into V-out mode. Do I just wire the +/G/- outputs to the XLRs and that's it?

Thanks

If you present a Near 0-ohm impedance load, the Buffalo will operate in Current-out mode. Present a higher impedance load, it will be operating in Voltage-out mode. That's all there is to it.

Buffalo 24 DAC support

Hi, Brian
I cannot find any information about 24's DAC on your site. Maybe, as you do find some, there will be a good idea to put schematics, manual & etc. for all of them 35 happy owners? Me too. Also. I've sent you e-mail about combined shipping of my orders, but my mail cannot knocked up to your box. I will try again. Regards, Valery.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.