• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

Buffalo DAC (ESS Sabre 9008)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I connected a balanced buffer 6H8C Buffalo II . (After his scheme Lampizator)
But I have a problem ...
Amplitude signal output from the buffer is small - 0.135 V.
Buffalo II has 0.6 V output.
For measurements we used a test CD.
Is it okay to have voltage of 0.6 V?

Thanks.

Vitaly

Attachments

• 3maja09 048.jpg
    3maja09 048.jpg
    118.7 KB · Views: 983
Buffalo DAC and Lampizator output

I just purchased the Buffalo DAC board and is expecting it by Sep. I am also very interested in the Lampizator output stage but I have some questions: -

The circuit shows two 2.2uF connecting to the tube on each channel but if you look at his picture, it only shows 1 cap connecting from the DAC +ve output to the tube output stage. I cannot see the -ve connection.

Do I need to connect the ground from DAC board to the ground of the output stage?

Did anyone tried the Buffalo DAC with Erno's 437 I/V stage? How does this sound?

Dual-mono -I2S

We finished with Buffalo II Dual-mono variant CDPRO2m I2S.
Connections we made after as it is in the picture.
But I signal distortions ...
Stereo version I tried (one DAC) but everything is distorted.
I haven't use Volumite , we used a Aleph P1,7 as preamplifier.
I tried SPIDF version and everything is OK, but I have problems with I2S: :) (

If using Volimite, must remove both chips?
I mean, one of Buffalo PCB (Left) and another from Buffalo PCB (Right)?

Please help me very much :):)
Thanks!

Attachments

• DSC_0490.JPG
    DSC_0490.JPG
    707.5 KB · Views: 948
Last edited:
I know it's a bit late to be talking about the version 1 Buffalo but I finally got mine up and running... it's stunning. Best digital sound I've heard.

I picked the DAC and a placid up second hand recently and have slowly been accumulating the necessary kit.

I have two placid's powering the Buffalo and a Bipolar Placid powering the IVY 3. Very nice. I have a 18V transformer on the IVY which is making the Bipolar placid very hot, so I will look for a 15V to be safe.

After running it for a couple of days I immediately carried out the VREF CCS mod and love the improvement.

I would like to try the VREF mod on a chinese DAC which needs 5V. So do I increase the value of R3? At present I have a 10K trimmer there for the Buffalo module, should this be increased to 20K trimmer to get 5V? At the moment the trimmer maxes out at 3.5V with 6.6V input from the Placid.

I presume providing enough headroom for the CCS circuit isn't an issue for 5V.

Thank you Russ and Brian. Keep up the good work.

Vitalica,

1. Yes, remove both firmware chips
2. Did you receive the new firmware from Brian? The old one will not work properly for the right channel.
3. I had the same problem, try stereo mode and switch the IVY modules between the DACs. With me it turned out the opamps weren't soldered correctly to the PCB on one IVY (propably transport damage), but it's a pain in the ... to get that right after building it. I eventually ordered a new module, still waiting for it.

Vitalica,

1. Yes, remove both firmware chips
2. Did you receive the new firmware from Brian? The old one will not work properly for the right channel.
3. I had the same problem, try stereo mode and switch the IVY modules between the DACs. With me it turned out the opamps weren't soldered correctly to the PCB on one IVY (propably transport damage), but it's a pain in the ... to get that right after building it. I eventually ordered a new module, still waiting for it.

Thanks LeonvB :):)

I asked Brain to send me a new chip , but received no response from him.
I received a message that was sent a package to me with a new I / V Legato. I hope it and chip in it ...
Now listen dual - with Aleph 1.7 mono.
Sound is great!

Best regards!

Hope you're having more luck than I have: I did get a response, but no chip in the bag. It's way better to have it the other way around ;) And I'm still having problems with the SQ in dual mono, maybe I should go for SPDIF also instead of I2S.

I go on the variant: CDPRO2M - I2S- Metronome-I2S-Dual-mono, and sounds very good.
Image hosting, free photo sharing & video sharing at Photobucket
But necessarily leads to CDPRO TO Metronome must be very short! (To me I'm 3cm)
Unfortunately volumes dual mono version does not work because the chip is not good: :) (

Regards!

Here is something you folks with volumite or any other I2C controller for the Buffalo(or Buffalo II etc).

You can never connect two devices with the same address to one single bus master(controller). You must either give both devices different addresses, or use two separate controllers as bus masters.

I am sure Brian will get the firmware out to you folks that need it. Please be patient with us. Brian has been swamped.

Cheers!
Russ

Russ, on a slightly different remote control tack, can I use a simple 10k linear motorised pot in place of the current 5k unmotorised one in the Volumite and use this as a simple remote volume control?

I appreciate it is not a proper remote using I2C or will your I2C remote control stuff be imminent? If so I'll wait out for that?

Best wishes,
Russ

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.