• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

Buffalo 3 SE Pro 38 no sound. Help!

it was working fine las Saturday. I fired it up today and no sound. Checked the voltage output from the Centaur ps, 2 v only, do I thought this might have been the culprit do I proceeded to install the Placid HD supply, checked it’s output, 5v, ok let’s see. Well it does not work either. No sound. Any suggestions? Is the dac board dead or any of its trident boards? Because there are no leds to be seen it is difficult for me to ascertain the damage. Any suggestion will be appreciated. Thanks

Joined 2007
Paid Member
Sorry to hear of your problems. The Centaur PS is the more robust component, so if some environment or supply surge damaged the power supply then there could easily be damage on the Buffalo. It is easy to (carefully!) check the voltages into the DAC chip because the regulator (Trident, etc.) output pins are easily reached. But verify the placid voltage and shunt current after it is connected before moving onto the DAC.

Good luck!

F.

Agreed. It is best to disconnect the power supply to test that it is functional. If there is something causing a short on the DAC, it will drag the supply output voltage down, so measuring independently is helpful.

If your Tridents are removable (used the supplied female headers), you can test them in isolation as well by applying 5V to the input pin from the (if it's working) Centaur.

Joined 2007
Paid Member
Good news! PS choice probably depends on your particular build and a) the available chassis space, plus b) cooling airflow around heat sinks. Centaur was designed to more easily manage the Buffalo 9038, whereas Placid HD is operating closer to its output limits.