• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

Budget Tubelab SE

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I recently completed an SSE and love it. Now a friend would like me to build an amp, and rather than build another SSE I think if like to do the SE this time, most likely configured for 300bs. Budget is somewhat important. My question: is a "budget" SE significantly more expensive than a budget SSE? I know the tubes are going to cost more, but are there any other expensive "gotchas" to look out for?

--TWH

I built my 300B SE (budget build, but not super cheap either) over the course of a year (buying stuff when the budget allowed). I built it for something between $800 and $900. Actually, my spreadsheet says $725.29 but that doesn't include some things (like panel meters, wire, etc...) I used an Edcor XPWR131 power transformer, and Transcendar choke and OPT (20W SE -the only thing I felt I blew my budget on -although they do sound good!) My original 300B tubes were Guigang and $100 for the pair. These sounded awful, but were suitable for testing and check out. If I were doing it again, I would start with better tubes. I've since used Valve Art 300B tubes and currently have Sovtek 300Bs (which I prefer). Good luck!

I can't help you with your question but i am thinking about building SE. Are you happy with you SSE and how much did you spend to build SSE?

I'm REALLY happy with the SSE. I think I spent about $400 plus the wood for the chassis. Then I purchased a second set of (more expensive) output tubes. I'm using Edcor power and output transformers and an Edcor choke. I do have a supplemental motor run cap. My amp is wired for triode mode only. I only use tube rectification.

--TWH

400$ sounds fantastic for a tube amp. I am not sure now if i should go for SSE or SE :D

I'm REALLY happy with the SSE. I think I spent about $400 plus the wood for the chassis. Then I purchased a second set of (more expensive) output tubes. I'm using Edcor power and output transformers and an Edcor choke. I do have a supplemental motor run cap. My amp is wired for triode mode only. I only use tube rectification.

--TWH

I have a noobie question, can I drive any of those amps with any kind of cd player?

Should be possible with "standard" CD players with anywhere around 2V RMS output. I have tried my Tubelab SSE with an entry level Philips DVD player - it works fine.

However to really enjoy the amp, you might consider a better quality source like a good quality DAC... and then you need good speakers too, right? :)

Haha no problems there :) I am gonna buy one of those entry level marantz cd player.

Do I really a DAC?

And I have no idea what kind of speakers i am gonna get :D

BTW any suggestions for multimeter? Shouldn't be an expensive one :)

Should be possible with "standard" CD players with anywhere around 2V RMS output. I have tried my Tubelab SSE with an entry level Philips DVD player - it works fine.

However to really enjoy the amp, you might consider a better quality source like a good quality DAC... and then you need good speakers too, right? :)

I tried running mine straight thru just a CD player in to the SSE and it sounded terrible. You need to understand how the CD players output impedance along with the input impedance of your volume pot on the SSE interact with each other AND the input impedance of the amp.

Probably what happened in my case was when I turned the volume pot up (decreasing the impedance) I got to the point where my CD Player was happy (10k or less impedance) but the voltage going out was too high over driving my amp.

You need to read up on output/input impedance and how they interact with both the CD Payer and the SSE amp.

Also I want to add once you go passive with just a pot in the signal path, the quality of the pot becomes very important which is why you see folks building passive preamps with expensive pots in them. That could be another reason mine sounded crappy too because I was using a $10 volume pot ....

Cheers,
Bob

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.