Budget audiophile amp? (or best cheap dedicated amp)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.

ICG

Disabled Account
Joined 2007
If you look deeper, into the datasheets, you'll find that the HD version is 5 db quieter---enough to make a significant difference. methinks.

With already 98dB S/N ratio on the non-hd that's hardly a point to make the decision upon since nothing in the chain so far actually reaches that. The 96kHz resolution (vs. 48kHz) is not that important either. But actually much more important is the ability of the HD version to use FIR filters, the non-HD one can only use IIR-Filters. FIR-Filters can be designed to be phase linear which is impossible with IIR filters and in some cases that can be a game-changer.

Both units are essentially suited to consumer-level input/output-----at -10dbV levels, you have ~ 19 db of headroom---just enough.

He does not have 19dB headroom since nothing else on the chain will allow that much headroom. And IF that would actually make a difference, it's time to check the gain structure.

I may eventually build some of those LX minis, though. Curious.

I hope " mini " is understood and used as relative term... because i do use only as example because everybody knows about " LXmini " or LX521 because those speakers are pretty well promoted and everybody thinks as design belongs to S.L.
But this is a far from truth as can get... S.L. have have successfully put together in one box design elements exited for decades and promoted those designs the rest job was done by trustworthy followers in S.L. temple. ..To illustrate my statement LX mini is actually Ohm design and philosophy.
But what most of us means is a process of search for optimal live sound reproduction in the close space ( your or my living room ).

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.