BSR EQ-3000 - Constant Hum

I have a BSR EQ-3000 that I've had for 10+ years and worked great - been in the family since purchase in the 80's, maybe early 90's. In the last few months it developed a loud hum when connected to vinyl input. Tried different audio cables, input, etc. - chased the hum to the BSR.

I opened it up to take a look to see if anything jumped out at me, and these 2x 470 micro Farad capacitors look melted to the PCB - does this look consistent with the issue? Can't decide if its worth it to trouble shoot or dump it and replace.

Feel free to hurl insults or insight.

20240317_195811.jpg
20240317_195800.jpg

It looks to me that those large electrolytic capacitors have simply been glued to the PCB for stability.

Leakage of wet electrolyte from inside a capacitor would dry in the form of a light coloured powder.

If the tan coloured material is hard, it will be glue, in which case these capacitors are unlikely to be the source of your problem.

if I'm outright misusing that EQ its been to great effect!

If the set-up was originally working for you that's fine (I checked that the Onkyo has no preamp/amp loop into which you can insert an equaliser).

Now, back to the problem of the hum that has recently developed in the BSR EQ-3000 equaliser.

Have you checked the condition of the glue as I asked in post #3? Is it hard with no sign of electrolyte leakage?

I hesitate proposing that you investigate those capacitors further as in all likelihood the problem lies elsewhere, necessitating hands-on troubleshooting.

Have you checked the condition of the glue as I asked in post #3? Is it hard with no sign of electrolyte leakage?
The glue is very hard - enough so that a Phillips head screwdriver can score it. As for signs of leakage - there's no bulging present, however there is a very large spot of residue surrounding the area with the two capacitors that looks as if there was fluid present at one point that has since evaporated. It looks similar to flux residue, but I'd guess that's too large a surface area for that to be the case - maybe related to the glue breaking down.

I also found another instance of similar glue discoloration after further dismantling, so it seems you're spot on that the issue is likely unrelated. Replacing a couple components is within my wheelhouse but the scope of this one is probably not worth the effort - my experience troubleshooting electronics is on par with an entry-level technician at the very best. I've just enough knowledge to be a scourge to electronics components everywhere as I've lost the healthy fear of whipping out the soldering iron.

In any case, I appreciate the input.

20240321_221609.jpg
20240321_221652.jpg