• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

Bruno Putzeys Balanced Preamp - Group Buy Part 3

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
The "problem" seems to be, that Putzey's preamp design (probably) was only to demonstrate his stated principles and not meant to be a "real" preamp for everyday use. Thus not much thought (probably) went into optimizing the power needs for the Hypex regulators. He just used them because his company Hypex has been selling them :) ...
I don't believe that. There is a lot of work/expertise dedicated to laying out that PCB.

Have a mixed feeling about this.

Another question:
Did you pick a a remotely controllable volume (gain) controller already ?
Looked at the Maya / Polak (VoICB) stepped version, but this is getting rather expensive as a set in comparison to the BPBP alone. Any other idea ?

Did you pick a a remotely controllable volume (gain) controller already ?
Looked at the Maya / Polak (VoICB) stepped version, but this is getting rather expensive as a set in comparison to the BPBP alone. Any other idea ?

I've been wondering about trying to use one of these as the raw ingredients of a volume controller but with appropriate resistor values for the required BPBP volume control "law"

(DIY kit) HIFI remote volume control kit 128 steps dual display 50K L168-37 | eBay

Since it's a kit where you're installing the resistors, you'd just buy and install the appropriate resistors to make up the impedance you desire. You'd still have to come up with a way to install those handy gain limiting resistors the VolCB includes. Hookup would be the same as the VolCB once that's figured out.

Since it's a kit where you're installing the resistors, you'd just buy and install the appropriate resistors to make up the impedance you desire. You'd still have to come up with a way to install those handy gain limiting resistors the VolCB includes. Hookup would be the same as the VolCB once that's figured out.

Exactly

Burkm
It would be a complete diy job. It just looks like a convenient way of getting a bunch of relays, a PCB and a remote control (and a display) without finding and buying a load of separate bits.

Andrew T identified a set of resistor values that worked well for him. Iirc he gave the info as a post on the original BPBP thread. The behaviour of the linear pot - gain vs angle - is "interesting" and that's probably the key part of the design to address.

Otherwise anything to do with a remote volume, other than the one you've already referenced, is down to the individual. This is diy audio after all ;)

I didn't know, that AndrewT already identified a complete set of resistor values getting to the needed impedance of 10k although I read up on the posts in the BPBP thread some time ago. Must have missed it. It probably is logarithmic (?) then, because in my understanding linear stepping is not needed any more if you go the stepped way using individual resistor pairings...

Do you have a link to those posts :eek:, if I can't find it right away ?
I wouldn't be bothered by that DIY thing, because that wouldn't matter to me. I am not scared of soldering etc. at all
AHsJFJhC1JVdTiwNFHjIzQRYghQooATggIBTTTRlyNVL0Z4COQLoGuCnQgAduFxBEWgoDaMibGzFWSPmU4csj+wM1PKj1okIIUjp6WEESB+BGGKhQHUrj5U6CaosGTVmjgxZfDhtogIpxgAJAgBgmZTpC5kNAxkcmaIq1B1PgSotWCgQzyIagHx4afCnFZqFdF5IKWCKgGENQxAxKdGi1yBCpWrMCCDCAC0TAdrsuGRDyAcYFIJ0QSDAAIIEiQBEYpWEh5JXTySZAQBmxYADD8KQaOQCTi8cXFZ5cGRBDYRUZd6AuiFnIIhOW1QQucCBFxJMLM7QFTgiioNZheYuAgwIADs=

The problematic portion actually is getting a case which fits and has the needed cut outs, because looking "professional" is getting difficult from a mechanical point of view...

I thought of ordering a set (black) machined to specs from Ghentaudio, but minimum order would be 10 pcs at least, which I don't need and can't afford either.

There will be an offer by Tvicol from Vicol Audio at end of March (diyaudio Maya thread), which makes and sells the Maya controller in cooperation with Hans Polak with his VoICB board, for their version of a volume controller.

But that seems to be rather "expensive"looking at their "normal" offer... pricing is not yet known.

I didn't know, that AndrewT already identified a complete set of resistor values getting to the needed impedance of 10k although I read up on the posts in the BPBP thread some time ago. Must have missed it. It probably is logarithmic (?) then, because in my understanding linear stepping is not needed any more if you go the stepped way using individual resistor pairings...

No, not logarithmic; a law unto itself
Read Bruno's original pdf and read through the main design thread - there are several pages on the volume control

Do you have a link to those posts :eek:, if I can't find it right away ?
I wouldn't be bothered by that DIY thing, because that wouldn't matter to me. I am not scared of soldering etc. at all

Information here
convert the BPPBP to a stepped switcher

I was referring to the circuit design changes rather than the soldering - number of relays, number of steps, resistor values. It's going to need (some) design

The problematic portion actually is getting a case which fits and has the needed cut outs, because looking "professional" is getting difficult from a mechanical point of view...

I thought of ordering a set (black) machined to specs from Ghentaudio, but minimum order would be 10 pcs at least, which I don't need and can't afford either.

have a read at this point on the main design thread - Page 54
Various discussion about front panels and cases there

AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
On the supply voltage for the BPBP: it is nominally +/-12V because the Hypex regs need about 3V headroom to work well and the preamp is supposed to work from +/-15V. However, if you have a super-duper +/-15V supply you want to use instead of the Hypex, no need to tweak that down to +/-12! In fact the performance is probably just a tiny bit better with the higher voltage. At any rate, nothing to lose sleep over.

Jan

I've been wondering about trying to use one of these as the raw ingredients of a volume controller but with appropriate resistor values for the required BPBP volume control "law"

(DIY kit) HIFI remote volume control kit 128 steps dual display 50K L168-37 | eBay

Had some communications forth and back with the seller of those items in your link... Response has been fast (within 24h) , "dense" but somewhat lacking in terms of content.

He didn't want to provide assembly instructions beforehand. They are supposed to be "one page" and "no schematics" but "easy to do" and come with the kit. He can provide 10k versions of the kit needed for the BPBP. The volume control is purely passive and doesn't have any buffers. Resistors are Dale CMF.

But looking at the pictures I estimate something like > 50 parts in the DIY kit. Just a single page of instructions and no schematics does't bode well for finishing this kit and adapting it to the BPBP successfully. There are no pictures of the reverse side of the control board(s) either...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.