Brisbane Meet No 2

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Well, really it was an invite from Rob to hear his new Elisores speakers and a great job he’s done too.

Still a bit of trimming work, route some edges, complete fixed wiring, applying leather plus side and top “features” but they ran fine as is. He was kind enough to let us play with various gear we brought along for the day.

Geoff bought along Rotel CD player, ME Pre/Power amps, Aaron lugged in a rather large DD15 sub, Mark came along with Nu Force mono block power amps and I bought along Musical Fidelity X series CD, Pre & Power amps - also present Doug and Paul.

So we had a very fruitful time mixing different combos and generally putting Rob’s new babies through their paces.

Rob said one of his considerations was SPL and boy these thing play load when given a bit of juice.

So from all the lads above, thanks Rob and Pete (SWMBO) for the afternoon and I’d like to say thanks for feeding me after the event – well the offer was open to everyone.

Cheers - Phil

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

terry j said:
excellent, we've gotta keep these aussie things happening, so far Bris is leading the way!! C'mon cockroaches, what are we going to do to beat the toads at their own game?? ha ha.

All you Mexicans do is talk - just can't keep up the pace!

Here's Sundays work ...

http://www.greenie512.net/greenie512/html/ml_tqwt.html

This is just a filler while my crossover bits arrive for the "Poor Mans Strad" - hehehe - Meeting No 3 certainly on the horizon.

Cheers - Phil

Thanks Rob.
I second Phil's observations about your babies' ability to push air!
Plenty of snap and slam, I thought.

As I was leaving to drive to Rob's place my wife asked me what I was intending to buy. (Nothing - this time - Dear!)
What I came home with - as always - is more inspiration and a bit more knowledge.
The bonus is always hearing new music that other people bring along.

A very worthwhile day.

Now, where's that router ...

cheers

Doug

Thank you all for coming around.

(The cheesecake was very nice, thanks Phil)

Obiwan, the latest (Mark 3) version of Joe's Elsinores (which is what I have built) no longer use a wave guide around the tweeter, just two layers of felt (and boy you can tell the difference when its not there :bigeyes: ).

It was great to hear them on the end of some decent cd players and amps, unfortunately though, it really showed up the defencies in my equipment (ahh, the never ending pursuit of the perfect audio delusion/ illusion .:xeye: )

I was pleasantly suprised that the DD15 showed them to be pretty flat down to 25 hz (taking room gain into account). I wasn't suprised that it also confirmed what I had heard and had simulated (theoretically) about the large "black hole of bass" in the rear half of the room.

I spent a bit yesterday, going through all the hardwood flooring that I had piled up against the wall, selecting which bits I want where and will start cutting some of that up today for the top caps and plinths.

(Phil, I also did end up cleaning up my workbench yesterday as well, and perspired about 2 litres while doing it.)

And if anyone has any decent amps, just lying around doing nothing, I will be more than happy to keep them plugged in and warm for you :cool:

DIY SYDNEY

Come on guys there are plenty of us who glue and screw here in Sydney.

I am awaiting time and money before i pursue my next two projects.

1: Celestion 6000 sub using 2 x 12" drive units.

2: 4 x 12" bass, 2 x 8" mid bass, tweeter. open baffle.

The 12" cost $25.00 each the 8" were free and the tweeters will be piezzo's.

So cheap and cheerful. I have a 3 active x over and the power amps so should be a laugh if nothing else.

:smash:

We have diy projects demmed at the Audiophile Society of New South Wales regularly here in Sydney.

regards David

Re: DIY SYDNEY

DAVOhorn58 said:
Come on guys there are plenty of us who glue and screw here in Sydney.

I am awaiting time and money before i pursue my next two projects.

1: Celestion 6000 sub using 2 x 12" drive units.

2: 4 x 12" bass, 2 x 8" mid bass, tweeter. open baffle.

The 12" cost $25.00 each the 8" were free and the tweeters will be piezzo's.

So cheap and cheerful. I have a 3 active x over and the power amps so should be a laugh if nothing else.

:smash:

We have diy projects demmed at the Audiophile Society of New South Wales regularly here in Sydney.

regards David

Hi david

what are you proposing?? I don't know what's up with sydney, the melbournians and now (even worse) the queenslanders are larfing at us!

I had a gtg here last month, no-one from sydney!! Most from Melb, and one from qld.

Do you go to the society's meets much (haberfield right?)? Is it worth my while heading on down??

If not, your place then ha ha.

re Sydney

Dear Terry,

The meets at haberfield can be fun and i have taken a pair of my speakers there and had favourable responses to them.

Even more fun i have taken i think 6 pairs of speakers that i have built and historical ones to music nights at friends homes.

People in the club make cables build speakers amps valve annd solid state, modify cd players etc etc. They also take them to haberfield.

I have not been to ou your way yet so could make a visit if that is ok.

Also you would be very welcome to visit here.

I have 3 systems up and running here and am listening to my Focal based 2 x 8 , 1 x 5 , 1 x tweeter at this time.

But i love my large corner horns.:D

regards David

Re: re Sydney

DAVOhorn58 said:
Dear Terry,

The meets at haberfield can be fun and i have taken a pair of my speakers there and had favourable responses to them.

Even more fun i have taken i think 6 pairs of speakers that i have built and historical ones to music nights at friends homes.

People in the club make cables build speakers amps valve annd solid state, modify cd players etc etc. They also take them to haberfield.

I have not been to ou your way yet so could make a visit if that is ok.

Also you would be very welcome to visit here.

I have 3 systems up and running here and am listening to my Focal based 2 x 8 , 1 x 5 , 1 x tweeter at this time.

But i love my large corner horns.:D

regards David

Hi David

you may regret the offer cause I'll probably take you up on it ha ha ha. And of course, you (and anyone else) are more than welcome to make a day of it out here. it's a bit of a drive I recognise, so bear in mind that if you wish we have plenty of room if you'd like to ease it a bit then stay the night.

I've only got one system running at the moment, but the last few weeks have (in my mind) made great strides. it may derail this thread if I go into it, so will leave it for now.

I've never heard horns, now that I remember I have!!! Still, would love to hear yours. If I get to sydney (might make a weekend of it) I'll be presumptious and invite myself to Bretts place too.

But in anycase, maybe we should just do something and get the ball running in Sydney. Who cares if the first one is very poorly attended, it's a start!!

Joe Rasmussen said:
The felt still creates a mild waveguide effect.

BTW Rob, I'm working on something amp wise that will be very suitable for the Elsinores. Keep patient and posted. ;)

Joe R.

Re the "something amp wise", still top secret? Or are you able to give out some teasers? My avr is not doing your creations much justice at all (nor was it ever expected to really).
Something around 100w/channel would float my boat.

rob323 said:

Re the "something amp wise", still top secret? Or are you able to give out some teasers? My avr is not doing your creations much justice at all (nor was it

ever expected to really). Something around 100w/channel would float my boat.

Hi Rob

OK, here is a bit of a teaser then.

The Elsinores are a frugal speaker, even modestly powered amplifiers are able to produce significant volume levels. In my room 18 Watt has proved OK (my own amps are 30W and they go LOUD!). But a 100W solid-state amp - with their possible drier sound - the Elsinores may well thrive on 100W. But they won't sound at their best.

Many have eyed the Chinese tube amplifiers on eBay - and there are even Australian importers getting into the act, such as www.coemaudio.com.au. Other brands like Markhill also shows up on eBay - Australian, but where are they really made? Also China?

I am getting one of these amps (brand called Topaz) sent to me this week from WA, should have it by the end of the week. I just got an email that it is on the way. I particularly wanted an EL34 amp stereo amp with input selector and volume control, so it can be used as an integrated amp.

The reason for the EL34 is simply there is something unique about this tube/valve that few actually know about, something that can be exploited unlike any other indirect heated power pentode. Because of this feature it can be a pentode connected in triode mode like no other pentode. Sorry to be coy at this stage but there is a reluctance to give it away - but maybe it will become more common knowledge at a later stage.

There is also an opportunity to use the LEM module - an idea that was based on conversations with Menno Vanderveer, the Plitron transformer designer, to arrest the Permeability slide in output transformers. Curiously, the technique involved was patented in the early 1940's, right in the middle of WWII. Maybe that is why it was forgotten?

See link: www.customanalogue.com/index.html#LEM

Finally, selective use of current sources to improve AC Balance in the Phase Splitter and Driver Stage as well as on the input Voltage Stage (the latter to reduce open loop gain). The new method of Triode mode vastly improves dynamic stability of the impedance into the primary of the output transformers, that it is likely that no feedback is needed. We shall see. These amps will be amazingly dynamic - less need to crank up the volume to compensate for the fact many amps comparatively are guilty of dynamic compression.

I am really excited about this and I will be given a chance to demonstrate it at ASoN (Audiophile Society of NSW) on Sunday 25th. The cost effectiveness - performance of an extremely high order - should be enormous.

Take a look at this one: www.coemaudio.com.au/products.php?product_id=119

This mob is in Brisbane. Acacia Ridge is Brisbane?

Joe R.

ok, yeh, mmm :scratch:
Well, most of that went straight over my head (my confession of "dumbness" with regards to amps). But I think I can see what you are getting at with those light bulb amps :)

Yes, COEM are in Brissy and are from all reports great to deal with (no personal experience yet).

Oh, when I said 100 watts, I meant "avr" watts, which I guess are probably only worth about one third to a half of "Real" watts :D

By the way, played the Telarc recording of the 1812 overture last night :devilr: Boy I'm glad those HDS drivers have some travel in them. My wife was at the other end of the house and she felt the cannons go off. She came into the room to see me grinning like a stupid school boy. gave me the "you owe me jewellery" look, turned around and closed the door behind her.

MadMutt said:
News on next meet ?????

I missed the last one, DOOOOOHHHHHH !!!!!!!!!

Well the mad session is upon us and most people are busy-busy-busy.

So was thinking early in January sometime? - I just finished trimming up these ... so have something new to play.demo.

Attachments

• mk_09.jpg
    mk_09.jpg
    18 KB · Views: 135
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.