Bridging STK4048XI module is the best.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Re: To SSS

metal said:

I don't think that LM3886 chip is better than STK4048XI,nor easier to install on a veroboard because of its package pin configuration,please note the XI suffix,it is for THD=.008%,this IC gives an RMS output power of 150 watt to 8 Ohm speaker,and it can be easily put on a veroboard.

well i didnt do my homework :)
i got stk4182II chip and lm3886 , the lm chip is much better so i came to that conclusion :) , i said "i think lm is better " i'm not sure of it :)

anyway

my point is normal configuration will have lower distortion then bridged no matter what type of amp u r using , bridging is used to increase power , not to improve performance.
metal said:
Please don't get upset of my reply,as we still neighbors,ok..

i'm not :)

To SSS

i got stk4182II chip and lm3886 , the lm chip is much better so i came to that conclusion , i said "i think lm is better " i'm not sure of it

Your conclusion applies only to STK41xxII,because the suffix II,means that for STK4182II,at 45 watt RMS,to 8 Ohm load,THD=0.4%,while for the LM38xx,THD=0.1%:angel:

Another thing here,if you have used a veroboard,then you will certainly notice that the spaces between holes are 2.54 millimeter,or 0.1 inch,that what I meant for the pin configuration,you can easely fit STK chips to those veroboards,because their pin spacings are 2.54 millimeters,in contrary to LM chips,which have their pins closer to each other,I think 1.7 millimeter,ok friend:D

By the way,there is no need to do homeworks when figuring out such things my friend:)

Better IC than TL072

Hi Metal,
I've found a better IC than TL072.
This is the LT1115 from Linear Technologie. The distortion of this IC is <0.002 procent.

I think when we use the LT1115 that it is better that we give this a gainfactor of 2 or 4 because of its very very low distortion. When we do this we can decrease the gainfactor of the STK4048XI. This will increase the bandwide of the STK and it is also better for oscillation problems.
This means that the loopback resistors of the STK can be less.
Instead of 56KOhm and 560Ohm we can use 20KOhm and 200 Ohm. The input resistance of the STK is then a little lower then 200 Ohm this is also better for the performance of the LT1115. (search with google). Do you have suggestions?

Best regards
Kurt

Regarding Bipolar or FET OPAMPs

Hi All

I have read in the 303 Circuits that is an edition of elektor electronics that some times FET input opamp may suffer from oscillations such as TL072,where as Bipolar input OPAMPs don't such as NE5532,they didn't say why,but I THINK that FET input OPAMPs are more sensitive to noise than do Bipolars.

BR

Mute and protection circuit for STK module

Hi everyone,
Is there someone who knows how the mute and protection circuit for the STK modules work?

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

I've found this circuit in the datasheet of the STK4040V.
As you can see in the figure I attached, I've given the transistors a name T1,T2,T3...
I think that T1 and T2 are the transistors for the mute circuit and T3,T4 and T5 for the protection.
When T2 is ON I think there is muting.
At high output current output there is also muting. I don't understand the 3.3 microfarad capacitor over the 0.22 Ohm output resistor. The voltage is AC how can you put an elco over it.

If I want to avoid cracks and plops during power on, can I solve this when I put a resistor, capacitor network on the base of T2. Just like a reset circuit?

Can someone help me with a detailed explanation of this?
Best regards
Kurt

Mute and protection schematic for STK

Schematic

Attachments

• muite and protection.gif
    muite and protection.gif
    33.8 KB · Views: 903
Hi Kurt

It seems that we both have the same problem,I have seen this protection circuit in STK4191II datasheet,to be honest I could not understand how its working.

But I think that the 3.3 uF capacitor is for a time constant along with the 220 Ohm resistor,I mean when the DC output offset is 0.7 volt,it gives delay before the BE voltage reaches 0.7 volt for the transistor on the output,and the muting occurs .

BR

stk4050v

Hi, Kurt and Metal, Your discussions regarding the stk's are very interesting, i'm a new member and also a novice audio amp hobbyist, I'm a Mechanical Engineer but i find electronics very interesting, i enjoy building amps base on existing schematics that i could find on the web and built one using stk4050v and my own made pcb, the amp works but i like the option of bridging it by a switch using tlo72 opamp's just like the schematic that you have posted do you think this will work as well. Thanks Junfer

Bridging

Hi Junfer

I suppose this will work as well.
You probably need al lot of power and a big power suply.
The STK 4050 has a lot of power but a little more distortion than STK 4048XI (see datasheet).
On you project, did you use the same schematic as in the datasheet? Did you use a mute and a protection circuit to avoid plops on power up?

Best regards
Kurt

Hi kurt, Thanks for the quick response, you're right the stk4048xi has lower thd, but where i leave a small town, with no electronic store for hobbyist like me to buy this parts, i have to buy my parts from Newark in NewYork and they don't even have this stk4048xi so i bought stk4050v which is available, I also couldn't even find it here in BC Canada, I wonder if you know any store here in US or Canada that sells stk4048xi. Anyway with regards to the Mute and circuit protection of my project Amp I didn't have it, i don't have any schematic for it yet, I also got my Amp schematic from the Datasheet, I wonder if there's any posted schematics that's better than this, I'm planning to build another one using stk4048xi as i have extra power supply available. Thanks & Regards; Junfer

To metal (and others that might help)

Hi,

I'm going to build a high power boomblaster and thought metal's original brigding design seemed perfect for this purpose as it was simple and the extra distortion is of no importance in an outdoors enviroment where the background noise surpasses the distortion level anyways.

But I have a few question as I'm a relative rookie to chip-amps:

1) Are there any good dual ICs that can be used for this purpose so you have one channel in one IC?

2a) Is there a way you could switch of the bridging part of the crciut in order to have a high and low output level setting (for the purpose of saving battery) ?

2b) And would this work with a IC suggested from Q1?

3) If I intend to run it of a headphone output of a (diy) harddisk mp3 player, what sort of input circuitry should I include?

As for general information the boomblaster I'm going to build runs on a car start up battery (55 amps SLA), uses two 10" Proffesional full range drivers from Eminence, and it's audio source is going to be a yampp-3/USB.

Hi Kurt, Yes i do hear the cracks and pops in my speakers so i'll get back to it and try to put the mute and protection circuit as soon as i get the parts and schematic for it ,and also build another one that's. bridged stk4050v for my Son's bass Amp
using the power supply and controls from a Kenwood M2 Basic Amp that has a burnt output transistors, etc. The Psu seems ok.

Hi AGGEMAM

Q 1

Y ou can use STK4231 II/V/X, the suffix is up to you, this IC contains two channels, each gives 100 watts, when bridged, only god knows how much power this will deliver.I used the simplest bridging method with my STK4191II, and it worked more than fine .you have to use some sort of switching power supply in order to provide +51/0/-51 volts for the STK4231.
Q 2

Yes,this applies to STK4231, you can use DPDT (Dual Pole,Dual Through) switch to 1:disconnect the bridging resistor.And to 2: switch between the 100 Ohm resistor,and the second input jack if you want to make it two channels.

Q 3

Sorry,I can't help you with this.In deed you have to e-mail me howyou did it,cause I was looking for such a thing to build it my self.

BR

Hi again AGGEMAM

If you can't obtain a switching power supply to convert 12 volt car battery to +51/0/-51 volt for the STK,you can use TDA1562 which delivers 60 watt from 12 volt car battery,its one channel.

I fyou want to bridge this,you haveto use the opamps method,and have some knowledge using them in single supply.

I think there will no problem feeding the TDA1562 from the mp3 player directly,of course after some sort of volume control because its closed loopgain is as high as 40dB.

If you have other questions,please don't hesitate contacting me.

BR

To metal

Thank you for your invaluable help.

I was indeed look for a chipamp to run directly of a 12 volt car battery, instead of putting in a switch-mode power supply into the mix.

So let's see, if I use the TDA1562s I get 60 watts in one channel, so the total power consumption is 120 watts peak, or 30 watt average (assuming playing very very loud, approximately 120 db @ 1 meter constantly) plus the power loss in the amp. Combined with the power consumption of the mp-3 player means that the battery will last for about 16 hour. Which is excatly what I aimed for.

I'll have a look into what other people did when running an amp of a headphone output, and get back here with the result, but I believe it's only a matter of the correct impedance matching.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.