BPPBP - Bruno Putzey's Purist Balanced Preamp (well a balanced volume control really)

...For U3 the TL072 is fully appropriate.

I thought it surprising to see such an ancient op-amp recommended for a recent project. I had assumed the TL072 was put out of production long ago. However, in quickly scannng their current datasheet they perform much better than I had recalled, particularly for noise. I've no idea whether the circuit design has been updated over the decades, but the wafer fab process certainly has been, which probably accounts for much if not all of any noise improvement.

For the ceramic caps C0G and for the film caps PPS (Panasonic for example) might be a good choice.

Many thanks for your recommendations Boris!

The 100p caps in the BoM already are C0G (NP0), so that's good.

However I'm having difficulties finding the 10u, 220u and 100u caps as PPS. Panasonic only offer them as SMD 0805 if I'm correct, while in Bruno's layout these are cans. (The Panasonics I have in the BoM are Aluminium Electrolytics). The only PPS in that build format I could find are Kemet SMR275226, but these are way too big to fit on the board. Any suggestions...?

What about using ELNAs or Nichicons for these values, would that make sense?

Thank you,
Robert

Last edited:
values of 10uF and above will probably have to be electrolytic

There are some ceramic smd 1206 @ 10uF, but the voltage rating is likely to be low and NP0/C0G will probably not be available, only the high K variety.

As coupling capacitors electrolytics are pretty good. It is filtering duty where they don't perform as well as film types.

AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
In case you haven't seen this yet: both Bruno and Jan had pointed out that Bruno's design 'in real life' offers excellent measured performance.

Hans Polak in his article 'An alternative Volume Controller for the Bruno Putzeys balanced Pre Amp' in Linear Audio shows the output spectrum of a 1kHz 1V signal in 0dB gain mode:

View attachment 503329

This measured unit by the way was built with Hans' alternative voltage controller PCB as featured in his article, so I consider my former concerns that it could have an effect on performance of the original design to be pretty pointless.

Many thanks to Hans and Jan!
Robert

As Hans so aptly put it: 'This preamp refuses to distort';-)

BTW, this weekend I was on a presentation of another one of Bruno's creation: the fully active Kii speaker. Can you imagine Joachim, a speaker being directional down to 40Hz?? Goodby room modes!
Ahh the power of DSP...

Jan

Joined 2014
Paid Member
Ah ok. Not entirely sure that follows as you will just turn it up higher if it remains clean :)

I hope the speakers are as good as the tech suggests. Previous attempts to do this sort of thing have tended to end up compromised, but I know Bruno wouldn't do that.

Robert, for the 10μ caps in the servo circuit you can use electrolytics. There are unipolar ones shown in the schematic, but you could also use polarized ones, I believe.
The 100 and 220μ caps have to be electrolytics.

Thank you Boris.

As 'ELNA fanboy' I have reworked this capacitor part of the BOM and chose ELNA RFS for 22u and 1000u as well as ELNA RBD for 10u. Hope everybody is ok with this? Here is the final BoM: http://1drv.ms/1W0T7dR

Will now get final quotes to set up the Group Buy.

Last edited:
choose a signal relay for signal duty.
The pin outs vary so you need to check that your chosen relay fits the PCB.

If you rigorously use twisted pairs for all lines inside the box and use a screened/shielded box there is not much left to interfere with the loops in the relays.

AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Ah ok. Not entirely sure that follows as you will just turn it up higher if it remains clean :)

I hope the speakers are as good as the tech suggests. Previous attempts to do this sort of thing have tended to end up compromised, but I know Bruno wouldn't do that.

I am not going to comment on the sound quality, what with my reputation for demanding double blind listening and knowing Bruno personally - no way I could be objective.

Yet, at the first demo at the first evening of the show for 16 pro-audio and studio people, 9 sets were sold before the evening was up. Next evening where I was present with some 12 consumer/audiophile types, 3 were sold during the demo. And these are not el cheapo's. Despite myself, I was impressed.

Jan

Jan, the DSP in the Kii is very much like what we did in Essex in the early 90th.
FIR for frequency response and IIR for phase. I think Bruno even uses 24dB Linkwitz in the phase linear variant.
We found that steeper filters have pre echos and othe artifact, so BOOM, here goes your 100dB/oct filter.
I know ways to make electronic cardioids too.
In fact i am preparing a pattent with an american partner.
Anyway, i really admire Brunos productivity.

AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Anyway, i really admire Brunos productivity.

Yes he is almost as prolific as you ;)

Maybe with class D prices dropping and performance improving, CAD technologies and cheap DSP, this may slowly become a trend, while with you guys in the 90-ies (I guess that was with Malcolm) it was still something outlandish definitely not mainstream. You were maybe too early!

Jan

Last edited: