BP vs. NP capacitors - newbie

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello,

I'm replacing the electrolytic caps in a series of preamps. Some of the caps are obviously poloraized, Some are labeled "NP" Some are labeled "BP". I'm guessing that NP means "Non Polarized" while the BP means "Bi-Polarized".

Would that make sense? Does non polarized and bi polarized mean the same thing?

thanks,
Ed

Thanks Limhes for your reply! I wasn't considering that actually- This marking is on only one capacitor and since I can't find any schematics, it's tough to say how everything is laid out off hand.

When doing some further searching, I saw replacement caps for sale that were labeled as "...Bp Non Polar Radial Capacitors..." so I'm still assuming that BP and Non Polarized are equivilent? I just don't want to buy the wrong ones!

thanks again,
Ed

chameleoned said:
"...Bp Non Polar Radial Capacitors..." so I'm still assuming that BP and Non Polarized are equivilent? I just don't want to buy the wrong ones!
is there room to fit a film cap for the BP?
The worst film cap performs better than the best electrolytic when passing an audio signal. The only stipulations are sufficient capacitance and sufficient voltage rating.
MKS, PES, MKT are all fairly cheap and are small compared to the other film types.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.