BoZ versus BosoZ

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
According to most responses the BosoZ outperforms the BoZ. According to Mr. Pass, this is due to the distorsion type (2. or 3. harmonic structure) and that most people perfers 3. harmonic to 2.

I will only need single ended in and out and I am therefore thinking about why the BosoZ should be better?

The main differences as I see it is that BoZ has a relative high Source resistor (100R), give some amount of local feedback. And that the bias is somewhat assymetrical (20V accross MOSFET and 40V accross Resistor), perhaps giving the sonic signature?

My purpose is to drive an F4 and to get a sound close to a vacuum tube preamp. Therefore I am leaning towards the BoZ circuit...but BosoZ is more flexible...
Why is Boz biased at 20V at output instead of half-supply (30V)? Would changing this alter performance towards BosoZ?

The major question is, is the sonic difference more a matter of personal taste (like tubes versus transistors) or is the a major step up in quality from BoZ to BosoZ?

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
Juma's BF862 pre isn't intended for driving buffer amp .

Juma can make preamp which will make your speakers bleed ........ but this one isn't of that sort ;)

Skorpio - there is ( somewhere ) thread named BOSOZ for F4 or something like that

if I remember well - result is jfet based cascoded differential stage ........ that thread later results in funny :Pumpkin: development

Last edited:
Thanks for the response...

I have tried some experiments with BoZ. Drain resistor is changed to 470R and source resistor is 47R. Gain approx. 20dB. Supply 60V regulated with improved Bosoz regulators. Drain current is close to 70mA and drain at half supply, so 2W power heats up the MOSFET...

Sound is very promising...I think this close to what I need

QUOTE Drain current is close to 70mA and drain at half supply, so 2W power heats up the MOSFET...

......yes,you need a bigger heatsink on (all) the mosfets.power dissipation in the original boz is only around 20v x 40ma = 0,8w on the preamp mosfet.
i used irf510n in my boz and use it mostly with my tube poweramp.
greets

Attachments

• Jfet-Bosoz.jpg
    Jfet-Bosoz.jpg
    24.9 KB · Views: 579
QUOTE Drain current is close to 70mA and drain at half supply, so 2W power heats up the MOSFET...

......yes,you need a bigger heatsink on (all) the mosfets.power dissipation in the original boz is only around 20v x 40ma = 0,8w on the preamp mosfet.
i used irf510n in my boz and use it mostly with my tube poweramp.
greets

Don't worry, I have a larger one :)....but wonder why the original has less voltage on the drain? Temperature reduction issues doesn't seems like Mr. Pass :cool:

Skorpio,

BoZ is a good preamp, but it's mostly a first step, not last :). So, once you fiddled with it, forgetaboutit :)
Try this instead (see pic-Zen Mod copyleft)

Alternatively, you may wish to try this one:

The SSTART Preamplifier Why on earth would anyone do such a thing? Article By Grey Rollins

Thank you for the alternative!

But I am running my F4 without the input buffer, so I like a lot of current...do you think your proposal will drive the MOSFET gates?

Also, CCS to maximize gain and then feedback to reduce it is not my preference...I like the simple approach. But the you will have to look at good PSU for optimal performance...

How would you describe the sound of your circuit compared to a BoZ?

To be honest, I never completed it, as I have built another amp (ZV9) which, driving hi-efficiency speakers, didn't need any additional gain at all, so I built a B1 and was happy.

But I had tried SEWA amp (a follower), and have driven it with Boz and Jfet Boz. Boz sounded a bit dry. On the other hand, original Jfet boz sounded fine, but didn't have enough gain so I went for completely different route...

It looks to me that (If you omit ZM's Pumpkin) Grey's SSart may be your best bet, but, not having heard it, I can't comment on the sound. Maybe someone else can...

Regards,

Vix

That SSTART amplifier looks nice, just like a BoZ with a big JFET in the source. Makes me wonder...could one of the new power JFETs make it as alternative for the MOSFET in the BoZ?

I like the idea of plenty of current and low drain resistor, lots of drive and 20dB gain for F4, but will a power JFET do the job here? Mr. Pass wrote in the original BoZ and BosoZ articles that he had tried power MOSFET with acceptable results (high gate cap increase HF distorsion)...so it might på doable. The easy bias will be attractive, nice and simple :)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.