Bought a lathe so I can turn horns

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
That looks a fab lathe. What is the swing? I scanned through but did not see that.

36 rings of 24mm birch ply glued nay, laminated together is how I made my little mid bass horns.
Router wastes too much material imo so I jigsawed them out.

As David Mcbean made me aware, Hornresp will even output the angle you need for each cut so less finishing is needed.#
Mine are tiddlers compared to what you are planning.
I rely on tapped horns for 100Hz and below. That way I can get away with fairly small mid bass horns.

Have you thought Hyperbolic or Exponential. Needs much less material and mouth termination at low frequencies is not an issue.

I would have thought a Le Cleach profile bass horn was out of the question? A 50Hz Le Cleach is something like 10ft across I seem to remember:)

Fun and games. I am looking forward to the progress pics etc.

Djn, I wish we were neighbors. Very nice machine. Turning is great fun kind of an all or nothing thing...it's good and then the chisel or gauge gets a mind of it's own and the part is ruined. Have fun and be carefully. Unless you have some experience you will probably find scraping the wood away a lot more controllable than cutting the wood away.
Evan

Good plan. Something in the 400-500hz range perhaps or smaller still?

I was thinking 1200hz for starters. Just to get the hang of it.

Love the picture of the 64' version of your beast. Considering the purchaser, something tells me that mold patterns for naval guns may have been the objective. Good luck with getting her up and running!

That is what I was thinking too.

For what it's worth, WD40 is not a good metal lubricant.

I agree. But it is good for a lubricant which knocking the rust off.

Djn, I wish we were neighbors. Very nice machine. Turning is great fun kind of an all or nothing thing...it's good and then the chisel or gauge gets a mind of it's own and the part is ruined. Have fun and be carefully. Unless you have some experience you will probably find scraping the wood away a lot more controllable than cutting the wood away.
Evan

I've got a good set of bowl gouges and know how to use them. I am looking forward to turning something big like the pic below but will start small.

Cast iron naval guns pre-dates the age of this lathe.

The original design was from the turn of the century and my 1959 was one of the last ones to roll off the line.

Attachments

• big bowl.jpg
    big bowl.jpg
    120 KB · Views: 248
How about turning some in stiff foam for a core and then glassing them over?

Then I would have to deal with fiber glass......ick! :D

I love the "Turned without tailstock at any stage comment in the picture"
I bet someone felt a tad uneasy at some point.
I have turned logs, but always at least started with tailstock.

I've got a log just waiting to go up on the lathe, but I will use the tail stock as long as I can.

That is 5 and a bit octaves.
Way outside the recommended 3octave limit.

I like to use the big Heil for everything over 10khz.

My daughter already called dibbs on the lathe when I pass! Yep, I found a couple very nice gages for the saw that will protect me and still let the beauty of the old iron shine through.

Attachments

• 7434-B.jpg
    7434-B.jpg
    42.6 KB · Views: 242
  • 7434-A.jpg
    7434-A.jpg
    54 KB · Views: 239
All roads will lead to 5 ways in the end;)
not necessarily.

A 3way horn system with 3octaves per horn results in 9octaves, or about 40Hz to 20kHz.

a 4way system with the top three all of ~2.7octaves horns and a non-horn low bass speaker can get to over 10octaves and cover the 20Hz to 20kHz bandwidth and yet stay well within the 3octave horn limitation,

If one had enough space then, a 4way horn system can get to around 11octaves.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.