Bought a 21 inch sub from Pyle.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
That's exactly what those kind of drivers are good for - relatively low power mobile disco. You can buy better but you don't need it, if the SPL is enough and you're willing to lug around the large box required. Some of their late 1970's drivers (which were made in their own factory) excelled at that kind of service - as well as made fine sounding bass guitar speakers. I'll bet that 250W amp couldn't hurt it if you were clipping the bejeezus out of it while putting a hefty 15dB boost at 40 Hz.

I currently have it running face down on a carpet.
It sounds a bit muffled but that is driving it with a full range signal.
After all it is a subwoofer.

I paid £216 which is about $334.
I could only find one supplier in the UK and that was on amazon.co.uk

The video I linked to earlier had it blow up at 2000watts but that was with a sine wave and not music.
My most powerful amp is only 250WRMS so it wont get stretched with me.

I wont get to test it for a while as i have to build the cabinet and I can only do that on days off.
I am also waiting for bass tubes.

You cannot tell much about a sub when it is not in it's enclosure, will not sound like much.

You cannot tell much about a sub when it is not in it's enclosure, will not sound like much.

It seemed to sound better as time went on.
I would guess the cone is very tight until it gets used a bit.
Its certainly very stiff when I press the cone in.

Its half way into a cabinet now, just need to add the sides and back and I can try it out.

The FTW21 group buy was sold out within an hour or so, sold out twice over (overflow list) within a few hours.

There was a preliminary thread to gauge interest a few days ago...
COMING SOON:FTW-21 Group Buy.....Gird Your Loins - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
... but to get on the real list you had to be ready with no warning for a sale that was started at 11:16 pm and sold out in an hour, and technically 1/3 of the drivers were accounted for before they even announced the sale. If you check the poll in that preliminary thread there was interest in at least 78 units, over 3x the amount available.

There's also a massive group buy on the UXL 18...
UXL Group Buy-The Sequel - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
... but he's waiting on parts for that so he decided to throw the FTW21 group buy in while he's waiting on parts for the partially completed UXL group buy. First post in that thread indicates that the first group is for 61 drivers, the overflow group is for 119. Not sure how many he agreed to contract (maybe all 180?) but it's a massive group buy. And if he decides to make all the FTW21 and UXLs, even the ones on the formal overflow lists, thats like 230 drivers total. That's a big job for one guy.

Group buy savings for the FTW21 are about 12 percent and about 16 percent for the UXL. So it's not a huge deal if you missed out, and since it's going to take a LONG time to finish these up I'd guess he's going to have another group buy shortly after these are done. I have a feeling these group buys are probably good for business.

Last edited:
The FTW21 group buy was sold out within an hour or so, sold out twice over (overflow list) within a few hours.

There was a preliminary thread to gauge interest a few days ago...
COMING SOON:FTW-21 Group Buy.....Gird Your Loins - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
... but to get on the real list you had to be ready with no warning for a sale that was started at 11:16 pm and sold out in an hour, and technically 1/3 of the drivers were accounted for before they even announced the sale. If you check the poll in that preliminary thread there was interest in at least 78 units, over 3x the amount available.

There's also a massive group buy on the UXL 18...
UXL Group Buy-The Sequel - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
... but he's waiting on parts for that so he decided to throw the FTW21 group buy in while he's waiting on parts for the partially completed UXL group buy. First post in that thread indicates that the first group is for 61 drivers, the overflow group is for 119. Not sure how many he agreed to contract (maybe all 180?) but it's a massive group buy. And if he decides to make all the FTW21 and UXLs, even the ones on the formal overflow lists, thats like 230 drivers total. That's a big job for one guy.

Group buy savings for the FTW21 are about 12 percent and about 16 percent for the UXL. So it's not a huge deal if you missed out, and since it's going to take a LONG time to finish these up I'd guess he's going to have another group buy shortly after these are done.

Thank you for adding all of that. I have been so busy at work, while I was aware of the FTW-21 GB, I did not follow it closely.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.