Boston Acoustics VR-M60 - Port Problem

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I bought a pair of Boston Acoustics VR-M60 speakers as-is for a good price knowing that I might have to deal with a few minor problems. The speakers arrived this afternoon and though they were manufactured in different years, in both, the tubing that directs sound out the back port has become unglued.

Is this just a simple matter of getting in there and regluing it?
What type of glue should be used?
What might have caused this to happen, playing them too loud?

There's also a small ding in one of the tweeters. I'm not sure if this is the tweeter itself or a cover, since Boston has a proprietary tweeter design. However, I'm more concerned with the integrity of the speaker itself (i.e. the aforementioned port problem).

I won't have cable or an amp to test them until I go home this weekend, as I'm currently at college. Is there any harm in hooking them up with the ports unglued? How much will it affect the sound?

-Jameson

Hi Jameson,

Pull the port out as far as you can, scrape off the old glue and reglue with epoxy or similar from the local hardware store. The info on the Boston web site says the port is flared at both ends, so it's unlikely you will get it out of the box. The ports will surely vibrate if you hook them up to an amp, but won't harm the speaker IMHO.
Good luck,
Jeff

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.