bosoz buzzing problem

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I'll find out where I have ordered the Vellerman kit. It's the Vellerman kit that I have installed in my BOSOZ.

If I'm not mistaken, I think I did built the elektor soft start but it doesn't help at all. Once the relay kicks in, it produce a very loud pop, so I did not use it.

i think if i read your posts right, you ended up NOT using that kit as well.

the preamp is going on sensitive speakers with dual 8" woofers powered by a BIG 4-channel amp. so, i want it to be very silent.

ive been trying to find some more info about this kit, their website has how to hook it up, but not really what exactly it does... basically, you can have it so that when you turn the power on to your preamp it will take 6 seconds to make a viable connection between the outputs of your preamp to the actual RCA jacks? and, it will protect from DC on those same outputs?

all i really need is a relay that waits 6 seconds after the preamp kicks on to connect the outputs. if this does that, im golden :) well, i really just have one LESS problem with this thing now...

I don't want to give you the impression that your "problem" is the same "problem" as mine. Let me explain.

For my BOSOZ, the only issue is it produce a loud pop at turn-on and turn-off. Other than that, it works perfectly.

Like jh6you said ... one can always turn on the amp first and then the BOSOZ and you won't hear this problem It works dandy for myself but if somebody else in the family wants to use my pre-amp in one of those blue moon occassion and do not know or remember this turn on sequence, it don't work too good.

And thus I have installed the Vellerman kit in my BOSOZ and have "fix" the problem.

This is very important .... I need to let you know that I did not wire the Vellerman kit as per spec and thus I have used this kit NOT as a protection circuit. Essentially, I have wired it so that the output is short to ground at turn-on, so as to prevent the loud pop and after 5 seconds, the relay is open for normal operation.

From what I have read from your post in this thread, it seems that you have other issues and therefore this may not fix your problem.

yeah, i probably have additional issues with my preamp. at this point, im not at all sure what they could be. but i have read several posts on here that say the bosoz is bad for turn on/off noise. so, at some point, i will need to address that.

i wouldnt mind answers to the questions i posted in post #5 though... especially the first one.

i will isolate all the RCA's tomorrow (not that it will do anything because ive already tested it with isolated RCA's and it doesnt change anything), revise the grounding scheme (can bad grounding alone cause a preamp to act like mine, or can it just create hum?), and generally look things over again. sigh.

fcel,

thanks. thats what i needed.

SvErD,

that looks decent, but similar to the velleman kit. ill probably just get that because im not really sure how much shipping from hong kong would be.

ill test it all today and see how it sound on its own, minus the buzzing on turn on and off. if it sounds fine, then ill just put one of those kits on, and call it a day, er, year.

well, i ordered one of the velleman kits from a local supplier today.

i remilled the back panel with larger holes to accommodate the isulating washers. now the rca's are not touching the chassis. nothing really changed though. it might be a bit quieter, but that was never really the problem. its still as quiet as it needs to be. i cant hear it from more than 6 inches away.

but, its nice to know its done "right". its very hard to listen to it on my test system without being overly critical. it sounds ok. nothing is wrong with it, but its hard to judge just how good it sounds because its my test system, and not one i regularly listen to. but its clean, quiet, and plays all the frequencies i guess. ill wait until the velleman kit comes in and then test it on a real system.

hopefully the buzzing on startup is just the nature of the circuit operating normally. i replaced the smoking fet too, and it seems to be ok. both channels measure exactly the same when given a reference signal.

ok, got the velleman kit today. it took about an hour start to finish to put it together and had no problems. works like a charm.

i connected it as it should and it works like it should :) im still getting the slightest thump on turn-on and im not sure how to correct that (tyler's site had some info i might try), but its not a big deal. if music is playing when its turned on, it just plays the music and you dont hear the thump. its only when there isnt a source going.

and it even stops the pop at shut-down too. so, it does what it needs. now i need to take it to a real system and test it out to see if it sounds correct, and then its done, again.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.