BOSOZ Balanced Attenuator Set-up

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I'm interested in hooking up a 24 position rotary switch based ladder attenuator to a BOSOZ for balanced out operation.

Attached is a diagram. Is it better to use 2 ladder attenuators one for each signal side, or can a person get away with using a single ladder network similar to the Pass D1?

Is there a difference in sound quality between the two alternatives? The D1 type setup is certainly less expensive.

Thank you for the help and suggestions!

-David

Attachments

• attenuatorquestion.jpg
    attenuatorquestion.jpg
    71.9 KB · Views: 613
Disabled Account
Joined 2002
As far as I understand, the volume of D1 installed between the drains of the current-to-voltage inverter is simply a variable resistor. Its value is closely related with the two 1.5k Drain resistors so that we can change the voltage occurring across the volume resistor, by adjusting the volume knob. Both ends of the volume resistor always have the same voltages but opposite polarities, and they face Gates of the buffers provided to minimize output impedance. The concept of this volume is considered quite different from the normal volumes we are using for normal preamps.

If you are going to use balanced inputs for your power amp, I would like to recommend the volume A.

Any different opinion?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.