Bose 802 Deluxe Speaker System

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Indeed. Before self powering, Apogee and Meyer were ahead of the game with thier amp sensing feedback. At my show I have an all Meyer rig. Including four 650R2 subs- the old unpowered ones. I use a ma2400 on each one and each has a B2AEX processor. The limit lights come on a lot in my show but they sound great after 500 something performances. You do get what you pay for with Meyer- even if they are 10-15 year old subs. :D

pmscompany, didn't mean to threadjack you

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi Panomaniac,
I am no longer totally certain of the model number, but I think it was the 800, I worked on the electronics in them - revised eq., other tweaks, etc.. (I had nothing to do whatsoever with the amplifier design, which incidentally was quite cutting edge technically speaking and had numerous resulting design patents.)

Unfortunately I don't remember very many of the details because it was so long ago, (12+ yrs now, and it wasn't new then either) but IIRC it was a two way system. The power amplifier was a very innovative line powered switching amplifier with transformer coupled audio input for safety. It was very complex and almost impossible to fix if something went wrong with it, which it rarely did - very rugged. Power output was in the vicinity of 250 - 275Wrms depending on line voltage and it was very efficient, something over 80% overall if memory serves.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Thanks Kevin, that all sounds about right.
Too bad they never sold more. It was a good speaker, I enjoyed mixing on it.

I might try to look into the design. Wonder what was going on in there? Would be funny if they were my 1st experience with class-d amps! =)

edit.
Had a look, it wasn't the 800.

BTW, did the 802 and the 901 use the same drivers?

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi Panomaniac,
I'm not sure if the drivers were the same, but I'd hazzard a guess that they aren't.

Also I will talk to one of my friends over there and see if I can identify the model you are talking about. Basically it was powered by a digital switching amplifier and I think it would be referred to as a class d amplifier, but I'll check on that too.. :D

My only favorite bose product was the acoustic wave cannon sub woofer that found its way into a very few cinemas and theatres. which was a 3 metre long plastic tube with a 10"-12"(not sure) placed 1/5 the length of pipe! Reminds me of some of the sonotube projects in the designs page.

Unfortunatly the 802's were used for the mains and the treble had problems going through the screen compared to the traditional 2 " horns by JBL, so the bose system largly was ignored.

Nice sub bass though.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
LOL! Ha! I remember those - the Bose Bazooka!
The Bose reps used used to drag them around to all the trade shows, always made an impression - if only by looks alone.
Not my cup of tea. Seemed like a real "One Note Wonder." Loud, though.
I want one in my car. ;)

I must admit that I've only seen them in 2 cinemas, one cinema had a blown driver! and was never fixed here in sydney.
The system in Fiji the bass had a nice quality compared to many that was installed in that era. It was the only cinema that didnt sound well boxy! but then again didnt have much high end.

I personally dont spend money on Bose products, but I did have a go at making my own 18" 98db 4" voice coil version with sonotube, which I must admit was very pleasing to my ears.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Living in the land of Bose I've gotten used to see the bazookas pretty much everywhere, although they seem less popular now for new installations.

I have seen ones that were tuned to around 20Hz, and you can put a bunch of them on a wall mounting rack and get pretty obscene spl out of them at LF.

The other thing that gets me are those sh**ty sounding 100 series boxes you find in restaurants and elsewhere. :xeye:

The ceiling speakers sounded quite good compared to what soundol**r and others were doing at the time, but it wasn't too hard to better that. A lot less efficient, but then power is cheap these days.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.