• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

WTB Borbely All-FET 1198/ 116 PCBs

Wanted to buy
@nautibuoy - I already have those very PCB's BUT there is a problem in that the circuit these are based on is not identical to the original Borbely schematic, as I found out this afternoon.

I went out and sought the components from the original articles and, erroneously as it now transpires, that the PCs supplied by Stanton would be the same circuit - it isn't.

TBH I'm a little p****d off that Stanton doesn't make this very obvious.

The original parts list:-

Screenshot 2024-04-03 at 15.09.06.png

Stanton's parts list:-

Screenshot 2024-04-03 at 19.57.28.png

Regards

Richard

That's a shame Richard, I hadn't appreciated the variances.

I'm currently working on a Borbely 1198/116 project myself. I was fortunate to purchase a functioning preamp from another DIY Audio member a few months back and I'm currently modifying it. This is the board I bought, under initial test - it sounded excellent driving my Pass Sony VFET build.

t8AybGI.jpg

I'm modifying it to eliminate all the input switching (I only need one input) and upgrading the volume control to an Academy Audio Muses module.

ZPBjK4A.jpg

Patrick,

I too can write carefully worded pieces of English which could be designed to obscure - there are 'significant' circuit and component changes.

Personally I'll take it as a 'learning experience' - needless to say I'll not be returning to this particular retailer.

In the meantime if anybody can direct me to a source for original pattern PCB's or an article detailing the PCB layout so I can draw up a replica in Eagle....

Regards

Richard

Reactions: 1 user
I've just tried Googling this hybrid design (the one with the single valve and can see that, again, such as the AudioExpress article refers to 'including several modifications' and the PCB bears the text 'Original circuit by Erno Boberly' both bits of information advising this is not the circuit as designed by Borbely himself.

Very frustrating if you want to build the original....

Regards

Richard

@nautibuoy - that would be very kind of you. Don't misunderstand me I'm not opposed to building 'variants' but would like to build/ hear the originals.

A big hobby of mine is early Land-Rovers. A comparison would be wanting a <861500 number chassis'd vehicle i.e. one of the first 1500 produced before the end of November 1948 and somebody offering me one built in 1953. Essentially the same vehicle but the latter one has dozens of modifications...............

Regards

Richard