Boominator Light

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have also made a boombox using the monacor SP-60 units. Worked out really well. I just used 1 per side and a tweeter I had laying around (dynaudio d23).

Was I to make a simillar build today I would probably use 2 SP-60/8 in parallel for 4 ohm effectively and some horn tweeter (maybe HT-30, but havent put much thought into it). That way it would be a stereo build in the sense that the right channel would play forward and left backwards. Doesn't really matter much since most of the material today is mono and you dont really feel the stereo when the channels are this close together anyways.
You're way of building a stereo boombox is also an interesting option definitely worth considering.

What kind of crossover do you use? I actually did some measurements of the boominator for a friend of mine and tbh I'm not impressed. That design has some huge problems centered around the fact that they use piezo tweeters and it drives the 10" bass units deep into their breakup region..

You can get a much better result with this project :)

I finished the project the quick and dirty way. My Girlfriend painted it and it looks awesome.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

The performance though is "sufficient". I didn’t seal it property und the whole contruction isn’t really stiff enough. The SPs run fullrange and I just put a Capacitor in series to the tweeters.
I don’t have audio measurement tools so all I can say is that it does not sound too bad, but the measurements would probably show how much more potential there is.

Looks really cool. I didn't realize that I was reviving an old thread before I posted, but it was nice to see that it turned out pretty well :)

Yes, its always a problem to do the crossover without measurements. It's always possible to do it out of datasheets, but they tend to be quite optimistic..

Anyways, nice to see the picture :)
Cheers!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.