Bookshelf speaker recommendation

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
All,
I know this is a DIY forum and I'd love to say that I build everything I listen to, but, at my DIY pace, I won't get much joy. Can this wise group recommend some not-so-horrible sounding bookshelf speakers that don't consume all my DIY cash?

Thanks in advance.

Ryan

Just to be clear, I have plenty of diy speaker projects in the fold. I'm looking for something stop-gap, 'plug and play' as a fill-in until I can get some woodshop time.

I've been shopping around the internet... I'd like to stay at or under $300. SY recommended the NHTs. They don't show up very often on e-bay (does that necessarily indicate satisfaction with them?). New, the SB1s run about $300. On the other hand, there are a few other brands that probably wouldn't be all that bad. I like the high efficiency of the Klipsch (because, initially, I will them hook them up to some version of a Zen amp I have in the works.) Mr Pass recommends 90+ db efficient speakers for Zen V4. Any idea what an NHT bookshelf at 86 db might sound with a Zen amp?

Also, vintage Dynaco's (A-35s) seem to show up with some regularity. Seas drivers and tweeters. Any opines as to how they might sound?

Thanks for the inputs so far.

Ryan

I was going to recommed the PSB Alpha Mini's. Suprizing bass, clean clear midrange, and $199 new. Very hard to beat. I shopped around for 2 months before desiding on them. I've had them now for 6 years and even though I'm a tweeker, I have never found the need to replace them....

I've listened to both the PSB 1Bs and the Paradigm Atoms. In addition to being less expensive, the Atoms are smoother have have lower extension. I would definitely classify the 1Bs as bright. If they are available in your area look for the Tannoy Proto-J (even less than the Atoms) or the ART SLM-1 (which I think is the same as the Yorkville YSM1).

:)ensen.

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
The B&Ws are nice, the PSBs too (i've had earlier versions of both).

The Dynaco A35s don't really tuen my crank but some people really like them (1st tweak is to lose the metal grill on the tweeters). It would be nice to hear the drivers in a better built box with some XO tweaking.

If you are looking on eBay at used kit, then that broadens the selection...

Just remember that at these price points the compromises required mean that two speakers can both be good yet totally different -- you have to keep in mind your room, your other kit and your tastes.

Also keep in mind that if it retails for $300, it has $30-60 in parts in it... a pr of Fostex FE103s in some convient box (have you seen JasonLs fruit crystal can boxes?) could well challenge many of these.

dave

the 141's

I see that no one is presenting the Bose 141's as a very very cheap alternative
(www.outpost.com)

for less than $70.00 you have a nice pair of speakers for easy listening or classical music as background.

J-P

Bose has discontinued them for the US, as they are no more available on through their website, but some 'evil importers' are still after them and try to sell them to the American public!
come on $70 for a pair of bose 141 ?
no brainer right?

Dave (planet10)

Your point is well taken regarding the cost of components that go into this type of speaker. I haven't seen " JasonLs fruit crystal can boxes?" At the moment, with 2 young children and low WAF, I can count the number of hours spent (in the last 6 mos) on my current DIY speaker project on less than one hand. It's only been in the works for about 18 months now!? And I have two (or three) amp projects in various stages of completion... but I complain too much.

I'm waffling between getting the best I can get for the money (used or new) or getting some thing adequate for a lot less. I'll be using these mostly in my office at relatively low volumes.

Thanks to all for your opinions.

If I had a saying in my signature block it might say something like

"so many amps (and speakers) to build, and so little time..."

I have not heard Bose but..

...when my father(70 years old) told me he bought a whole home theatre speaker set from them I was disappointed as I have heard nothing good about them on this forum or any other HIFI forum. But his friends are all following his lead and getting them too now that they have heard them. He is replacing four good Energy and PSB full-sized towers with these little cubes. What is going on? I built Tangband 871-based speakers for my house and could not be happier. I though I had convinced my dad to build some too......oh well. These

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.