bookshelf speaker project advice

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
milen007 said:

as i need the kit to ship to indonesia, buying from 1 source is my prefered option to save shipping.

Hi,

I am from Australia, I bought some Usher parts from a supplier in Indonesia!, mainly 8945A and 9950. you can get 9930(the lower model I think) as well.

This combo sounds very good as floor stand speakers as well.

If you are interested email me.

Hi,

Subwoofers are still IMO your best choice.

The power amplifiers input capacitor should be resized to give a
1st order roll-off to the Spendors. Feed to the subwoofers is taken
from the amplifiers outputs and this should include an inverse 1st
order function to regain the attenuated bass levels.

:)/sreten.

milen007 said:

from your suggestion to add sub, the room sound boomy.
how bout adding supertweeter?

S35FIG5.jpg

Fig.5 Spendor S3/5, anechoic response on tweeter axis at 50",
averaged across 30 degrees horizontal window and corrected for
microphone response, with the individual responses of the tweeter
and woofer (red trace above 300Hz), and the nearfield response of
the woofer (red trace below 300Hz).

Hi,

Cannot see the point of a supertweeter for a 3/4" tweeter crossed at 4.5Khz.

A 1st order filter to the drive of the Spendors will reduce the tendency
for upper bass "boom", bringing in the subs lower than the roll-off should
not excacerbate bass boom. A further option for the subs is including a
notch filter(s) as your room is nearly square.

I don't know if this is something you might be interested in, but the new Exodus Audio "Kepler" speaker kit has just had a review published by SoundStage! online audio magazine about two weeks ago. They also have the measurements done at the Canadian Nation Research Center. All in all it can be, IMHO, compared to just about any minimonitor there is and the price is pretty attractive.

Standard Disclaimer: Exodus Audio's Kevin Haskins and I are long-standing friends and while I have absolutely no connection with Exodus, I did play a part in the initial prototype of this speaker. Despite this obvious handicap, Kevin was able to overcome it and went on to produce a pretty nice product;)

Anyway here's the review:

http://www.soundstage.com/diwhy/diwhy.htm

Best Regards,
TerryO

milen007 said:
Hi Sreten
i am new to this, where can i learn more about 1st order roll off stuff?
and how to accomplice driving the speaker with 1st order filter?
thanks in advance

Hi,

I'd suggest you find some one who can help you, the basics :

The input of the power amplifier has a 1st order high pass.
This can be changing the DC coupling capacitor or a network at the input.
It should be set by ear to get a clean response from the Spendors.

The high level subwoofer input should be modified to be the inverse
response of this filter, noting it should not do this down to DC
(which is impossible), but down to the cutoff point of the sub.
The subs high level input is fed from the amplifier output.

The normal controls of the sub are then set to integrate with
what is now the overdamped 3rd order roll-off of the Spendors.

There will be trade off between extending the dynamic range of
the Spendors (higher frequency filter) and good integration /
bass quality (lower frequency filter).

Have a read of :

http://www.vandersteen.com/pages/Pdffiles/Vandersteen Reprint.pdf

Note : I do not agree with everything in that article and specifically
the guff about a transient perfect crossover. The speakers high pass
will be overdamped third order, not 1st order. Multiple drivers are
not better than a single driver by default and performance / price
single drivers win easily.

just want to update this threat. i would like to thank Jay_WJ for all the superb and resourceful helps and suggestions on my 1st diy speaker project using usher 8945p and 9950. this is a very very very good sounding pair of speaker. in my system and with my ear and my own opinion, this pair of speaker beats my other speaker spendor s3/5 way ahead.

this pair throw huge soundstage, clarity and most importantly superb dynamic.

all the credit goes to Jay_WJ. thanks Jay

Thanks for the compliment, Erwin. I do believe this Usher driver combination (8945P and 9950/RS28) is a real secret among many DIY 2-way designs. Truly high-end performance available at less than half the cost for using equivalently performing "brand" drive units.

Can you post some more details of your speakers such as photos, box construction, and bass tuning? If you don't have a web server for images, send them to me. I can post them here.

-jAy

Once again, all the credit goes to Jay_WJ, with his continuous advice and support.

Below attached is my finished speaker without grill. at the back is spendor S3/5.

The volume for the cabinet where woofer installed is 19 liters but it works out fine. i added separate compartment to fit the crossover as my crossover is too big to fit into the initial woofer compartment. which work out very nice for the stand that i have the tweeter is around 1 inch higher than my ear on listening position.

The cabinet is painted with piano black color and made of 3/4" MDF with double front baffle, top and bottom.

sound impression is SUPERB. one word to best describe the performance. Attack, dynamic, soundstage is unbelievable. My spendor is way behind. totally different league.

noise floor is so much lower than the spendor. very quiet and low distortion. bass is excellent, especially driven by high power mosfet amp of 150w. even can shake the ceiling and windows.

it play much louder than my small spender though the rated sensitivity is lower than spendor. guess its system synergy between the amp and speaker.

Attachments

• usher-8946p-9950.jpg
    usher-8946p-9950.jpg
    10.1 KB · Views: 684
update:

with upgrade of my amp and preamp to SKA. the systems is transformed into another league.

i think this speaker has more potential than its performing now. the low frequency is 1st class. no more bommy bass. i think this speaker like POWER. give them power and they will dance.

SUPERB!! highly recommend

wigginjs said:
I am collecting parts for some in-wall 2-ways that I plan to complete sometime within the next 6 months. I am going to build on of Jay_WJ's designs and right now I had planned on the 8945P/810921 (Peerless HDS tweeter). Is the Usher 9950 tweeter superior to this?

Jay:

Which do you prefer?

no experience on peerless, but usher 9950, HF is abit strong for my systems. but with proper tweeking. everything works out ok. very resolving speaker. highly recommended.
:smash: :smash: :smash: :smash: :smash:

wigginjs said:
I am collecting parts for some in-wall 2-ways that I plan to complete sometime within the next 6 months. I am going to build on of Jay_WJ's designs and right now I had planned on the 8945P/810921 (Peerless HDS tweeter). Is the Usher 9950 tweeter superior to this?

Jay:

Which do you prefer?

Hi Wigginjs

hows the project going?

just an update:

i just replace the inductor thats in series with the woffer. the new inductor is 2MH 12AWG/0.26ohm foil air core from ebay(cost $30 for 2, free shipping). my old ones are air core 2MH/0.5ohm 15AWG (cost $25 for 2 including shipping).

these speaker transform into a diff beast. i heard more details, the low level details increase and enveloping. soundstage deepens. the HF seems soften up(no idea why this is affected):confused:

highly recommended
:angel:

Two 2.0 mH 12 AWG foil inductors at $30 w/ free shipping! What a great deal.

I believe what you hear from the inductor change is a .3 to .4 dB sensitivity increase in the lower midrange. This *can* make a noticeable difference in your perception of tonal balance. But this won't make a dramatic/magical change like you describe---but I understand your excitement :)

BTW, treble must be preceived as a bit softened up due to the relative increase of midrange.

Here's my simulation of the inductor effect on your speaker's FR.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.