Bookshelf dipole speakers - is it possible ?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hmm, I was planning to put everything on a common baffle about 50cm wide (unless somebody tells me I can get away with less), with the midrange quite high, approaching seated ear level.....if you you could test it on a 50cm x 50cm baffle, that should be fine? Go with your own gut feeling on the offset, because I'm entirely open to advice on that.

diyAudio Member
Joined 2007
I give them a 5 out of 10 because I like lots of bass, but quite loud enough for a medium size room and too loud close up, my sound meter is giving me a reading of 92/96dB when I change to quarter volume.

I'll let CC give her opinion.
For $40 dollars what can you expect

Hi,

How's the output level through the upper midrange (1.5khz - 3khz)? That's the region the sim's were suggesting could be an issue.

Chris

(I'm not expecting wonderful things, and I'm sure whatever you can do with a few minutes and a foam board can be improved upon with proper filters)

diyAudio Member
Joined 2007
If there is a roll-off it doesn't start until higher than that and it is benign.
It is the natural HF rolloff that allow the use of the single cap as the HF filter, remember this driver is running full range, all I've done is boost the low bass with the J***** paper 8.
If I was to keep this Tandy I would go 3-way and use it as I suggested 150/250 and 2500/2700.
Female voice lose nothing when listening to this system at low to moderate levels and piano is reproduced reasonably accurately.
My personal preference is for 3-way speakers so my predjudice shows, I wa just trying to demonsrate that good sound can be serendipitous, the coming together of disparate components to make a whole that is greater than the sum of the individual parts.
For myself, and especially as you say you are going active, I'd try and find a pair of the Jaycar 12 Part #2125 which should be about $25 each if you can find a pair and want to go with baffle of that size

diyAudio Member
Joined 2007
So really these are floor standers, in which case use pre-cut chip board and MDF from Bunnings and go 600 X 1200 in which case you would have room for 1X12 plus 1X 10 plus mid & tweeter.

On that size baffle with both of those drivers handling the bass you would only be 3dB down at 30 Hz, I know you said money is tight being a student and all but get the drivers now while it is possible, I'm not about to let any of mine go, at least not cheaply

Indeed, I'm keeping a close eye out for those old Jaycar 10's and 12's, and yes, the floorstander idea is indeed the plan. Floorstanding, good sounding garage speakers, because I have nowhere else to put them!

I'll head on over to the local Jaycar tomorrow arvo, and see if there's anything around with the old ugly Response logo across the front! Wouldn't want to miss out, and they've got some other old junk around...like the cabinets for a speaker kit that hasn't been in the catalogue for about 5 years (still too expensive, even on clearance, mind you).

I think with that test in mind that I can commit to buy this collection off you.....did you want the money in advance of you posting, or did you want to find out the exact cost of postage first?

Moondog55 said:
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3037/2968770316_61927ed28e.jpg?v=0

I love this foam board for quick baffles, OK I know i'm a deaf old bugger so I'm going to ask SWMBO whose hearing is excellent to check them out, I'll be back in 10 minute

i like them...they sound a bit better with more bass, but with <b>too</b> much bass i get a slightly painful ringing in my ears.

hmmmmm...how do i explain. i like the division between the sounds...it's reproducing the piano in the piece we were listening to pretty accurately. nicely balanced as long as they are not too loud.

i DO have very acute hearing, but we all hear things differently. so, Ted prefers them with more bass.

I've been thinking about the original purpose of this thread a little - what about the possibility of combining a relatively small sealed woofer (say a 5 inch) with a linkwitz tranform to get response down to, say, 40hz? Then an OB section to cover from about 250hz and up - I don't think less than that is achievable on any "bookshelf" sized baffle...although looking at some quick sims in Edge, it looks like the lowest frequencies supportable by a typical "bookshelf" sized baffle are more like 800hz, which is pretty high....I'll take another look on MJK's worksheets when I get back from my maths exam this morning (urgh. Yeah, I like numbers, but not for their own sake).

Anyway, the thinking behind this plan being that:

a) I don't like the sound of ported bass
b) Sealed bass should provide that midbass "punch" that gives the illusion of more bass than there is
c) A sealed enclosure can be made smaller, allowing room for the open-baffle portion above it while still remaining within "bookshelf" dimensions.

Yeah, I need a replacement for some some bodgy rear-vented bookshelf speakers that are currently doing their duty as my bedroom system, and the available space can be summed up as "small", or possibly "smaller". So I'm trying to work out a solution that can live in a space that's about 16cm wide, 20cm deep and 35cm tall. It's limiting, particularly the baffle width, which limits both extension (for the OB part) and woofer size (for the sealed part), which again limits, you guessed it, extension. And volume, but that's not a big deal, since this room is only about 8ft x 8ft.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.